Hop 1 complete


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
February 27th 2013
Published: February 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hop 1 has brought the wanderer to the sunny, familiar, pleasantly efficient, impressively hygienic, and surprisingly bleep-ridden environs of Changi airport, Singapore.

Not much sleep had on first flight despite the 5 am start yesterday. Shame really as that flight was the right one to sleep through in order to wake in the morning here and then be in approximately the right time zone when landing in Melbourne. Oh well, as is often the case, the wanderer's body is making it up as it goes along. Exhausted when it woke, caffeine fuelled on the busy drive to Heathrow, exhausted again as it boarded the plane, and yet it still decided about an hour or so of sleep would be enough and its owner should spend the rest of the flight in the company of films and a certain Stephen Venables - his "A Slender Thread" is the chosen adventure (i.e. people dying on mountains) book for this trip.

So now it's 8am the next day apparently (Wednesday) and the wandering mind seems awake. Sleeping through the next flight would not make sense so I expect my body to decide that's what should happen. Whatever it decides, the wanderer will either arrive in Melbourne completely spent (which would be anti-social but might aid sleep tonight) or somewhat rested and thus unable to sleep tonight.

The joys of long distance travel.

Advertisement



27th February 2013

I stand corrected... or at least I stand from time to time
Dear Wanderer, I'm glad we've got the Ani-podes out of the way, and that clearly through childlike excitement you just couldn't get to sleep as the irion bird rose into the sky. At least you will have had leg room, and most likely something else to eat rather than noodles! (The China Eastern experience for anyone else who reads this). I vagualy remember Singapore from about 19**, and so it seems that it hasn't changed in the (few) years I've been away. You should pause, if only for a moment to take in the view from the cable car at the top of the mountain, but perhaps the next iron bird will bugger off without you :-) Enjoy the second leg (strange term isn't it. Since when have aeroplanes hopped on their legs!) and if you don't get to sleep through more childlike excitement then at least you will be awake to peer out of the window and watch the great expanse of the outback pass effortlessly below you.

Tot: 0.362s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb