Day 32 Saturday


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Bukit Batok
December 4th 2010
Published: December 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 32 Saturday

Our last full day, but no time to waste as it’s off early for a City Tour. This took us to the Marina, China Town, a gemstone factory, the Orchid garden in the Botanic Gardens and Little India. But monsoon rain came early today.

At the Marina there is a vast hotel complex (The Marina Bay Sands hotel) – three towers with a superstructure for swimming, eating, relaxing and a great view; apparently the tallest building in south east Asia. Look at the water and you will see lots of white balls floating – they are wish balls. People pay and make a wish and then release the ball in the Marina. Apparently it’s part of their New Year celebrations!

The Chinese temple was a must to see and then to the orchids, including one dedicated to Margaret Thatcher! The thirty minute stop here was not nearly enough, it was so good. At the gemstone factory they make pictures from cut stones, but also make bowls, vases and jewellery. The pictures obviously involved a lot of skill but were not really to our taste (very “Gallery Gifts”!). In Little India, the street shops were like a food market – whole range of foods, spices etc.
After the tour we went back to the Marina complex and up to the top (Deb now confident with heights) of the hotel building. Look at the photo of the swimming pool. They also have a swish shopping mall (more Cartier, Rolex etc) but another food hall tempted us away, this time for a Thai curry lunch.

To round off, we had to do the Raffles thing, but, being unsuitably dressed, had to be content with a photo at the front and tea and cake in the corner cafe opposite. Bargain!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb