Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Sorsogon
Blogs from Sorsogon
Latest Blogs from Sorsogon
- October 27th 2013 Keep Calm and Move On
by Words: 1152 Photos: 5
- March 23rd 2013 Sorsogon City and Gubat
by Words: 121 Photos: 22
- February 4th 2012 Feb 1-4: Off to the Philippines - Donsol - Legazpi
by Words: 2318 Photos: 104
- May 23rd 2011 Not Just the Whale Sharks, There's the Shrimp Fishermen of Donsol Too!
by Words: 1409 Photos: 20
- February 27th 2011 The Butanding Whisperer of Donsol
by Words: 2384 Photos: 26
- April 30th 2010 Scary yet Exciting. Whale Sharks in Donsol
by Words: 802 Photos: 4
- January 20th 2010 Bubbles, Wrecks, Redhorse And Fish.
by Words: 803 Photos: 5
- December 4th 2007 Grim Towns, Nice Scenery
by Words: 2067 Photos: 10
- April 29th 2007 CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH THE BUTANDINGS
by Words: 553 Photos: 18
- April 28th 2007 Donsol, Sorsogon
by Words: 376 Photos: 15
- March 21st 2007 A Date with Leeches - Bulusan Volcano
by Words: 1330 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2006 Donsol Zamdudes Adventure (Whale shark)
by Words: 993 Photos: 27
- April 29th 2006 I Swam with the Whale Sharks!
by Words: 2504 Photos: 11
- April 21st 2006 on to the whaleshark & other sidetrips
by Words: 337 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2006 I'm ALIVE!
by Words: 380 Photos: 0
- May 2nd 2005 Bicol Trip
by Words: 138 Photos: 6