Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Blogs from Puerto Galera
Latest Blogs from Puerto Galera
- January 31st 2013 Philippines!
by Words: 889 Photos: 19
- November 2nd 2012 Puerto Galera with my Friends :)
by Words: 28 Photos: 34
- October 31st 2012 SANDBAR RESORT@ PUERTO GALERA 2009
by Words: 18 Photos: 15
- April 22nd 2011 Philippines
by Words: 655 Photos: 17
- January 31st 2011 Let's Fly High
by Words: 38 Photos: 5
- June 23rd 2010 The Little Mermaid
by Words: 423 Photos: 1
- April 3rd 2010 Philippines (the glorious return! - Dumaguete, Apo Island, Duain, Puerto Galera) - 16th March to 6th April 2010
by Words: 2678 Photos: 51
- February 16th 2009 Sun, a Peacock Shrimp, and Giant Clams!
by Words: 756 Photos: 4
- February 16th 2009 Encenada Beach Resort
by Words: 580 Photos: 3
- February 16th 2009 Trekking to Paradise
by Words: 554 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2009 Captain Gregg's "Chuckburger" and Food Poisoning
by Words: 161 Photos: 0
- February 10th 2009 On the road again - Chicago to Sabang, Philippines
by Words: 1576 Photos: 0
- February 6th 2009 Philippines - Onward to Puerto Galera
by Words: 563 Photos: 5
- February 6th 2009 Snorkelling in Puerto Galera
by Words: 475 Photos: 3
- December 30th 2008 An earthquake and sharks...
by Words: 323 Photos: 4
- December 25th 2008 Christmas Day...Merry Christmas everyone!!!
by Words: 184 Photos: 6
- December 19th 2008 Sabang Beach and a trip in a police car...
by Words: 349 Photos: 4
- September 3rd 2008 Summer 2008 in Puerto Galera
by Words: 4 Photos: 55
- May 19th 2008 Diving in Puerto Galera!
by Words: 318 Photos: 36
- January 5th 2008 January 5, 2008 - White Beach/Mindotor
by Words: 277 Photos: 0