ILIGAN'S MARIA CRISTINA FALLS


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao » Lanao del Norte » Iligan
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I was tummy sick the whole night at the stinky Palace hotel in Oroquieta, it did not help that we have several beers before turning in for the night. Rik and I are sharing a matrimonial bed as it is the cheapest choice, 550 pesos!! They gave us one blanket and one towel, Rik came to ask the front desk for another blanket and was told to pay 30 pesos for the privilege, ticked off I stormed down the front desk and mouthed off saying the bed is matrimonial and one person could barely fit in the provided blanket for the price of the room we expect better service, he mumbled something and gave me one more blanket, for free I took it and left quickly.

Drank as much water before heading off to the port to catch the ferry back to Iligan, we stopped at Jolibee to get a take out breakfast, I did not like what they have so we went to Chow King for mine. Paid the ferry fare, then another fee for port use and another(compulsory!) for Red cross donation for something. We headed to the deck and 1/2 hour later we left. Nice sunny day, there is a bus at the ferry so we hopped on before we arrived at Makas port. The lady in front of me is sick and keeps spitting out the window, I got worried as my window is fully open and I don't want puke all over me if ever she hurls, So most of the time I spent dodging her everytime she sticks her head out for a spit.

Got off at the crossing to get to Maria Christina falls, apparently on weekends they turn off the turbine so we can see the falls in all it's glory, they use this to harness power to supply power in Mindanao. A habel habel driver told us walking is not allowed to the facility and we soon found out it's true, you have to have a vehicle to get to the main building facility, so we have no choice but to hire the dude. They require ID and also you need to leave your bags with them but there is not a locker and you just leave it in the left luggage area out in the open, I complained a bit about security, and later Rik told me the security chief told him if we don't want to leave our bags there we may as well not go in!

The ride took about only 5 minutes, we later learned that sometime ago a bomb was planted in one of the bridges at the entrance and it exploded and destroyed the bridge, now they are being extra careful.
I can understand that but the security people's attitudes' were uncalled for. There is also a zipline that runs through the raging river into the lush jungle. At the viewing area we waited and waited for the water to get enormous as our driver said usually at 11am when it happens, came and went and none! We asked around and one staff radioed someone and was told since power in all of Mindanao today is scarce they are not shutting the hydroelectric power today! Crap! but yesterday they did, bad timing, also the guy told us they told the security people at the entrance so they can inform the tourists, but of course they did not tell us.

Annoyed but we can't do anything anymore we went back out, and on our way out I mentioned to them their oversight and one dude just gave me a wry smile, assholes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb