Tales of a Triathlete Ally: Adidas Marathon


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
July 1st 2007
Published: September 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rizal MonumentRizal MonumentRizal Monument

Famous Rizal Monument, Luneta Park, Manila
My husband, Dennis is a recreational triathlete. He competes in various triathlons set in different places in the country. He has joined the yearly SUBIT or Subic International Traithlon competition for 3 years now. He has joined triathlons and duathlons set in Ayala Alabang Village, Clear Water at Clark Special Economic Zone and Lakeshore Pampanga.

Last July, he joined the 21 km Adidas Marathon held at Luneta Park, Manila. The allies (Ety Bea, Abby and I) and Dennis woke up early since the race would start at 5:30 am. Dennis woke up earlier than us to prepare for his race. He performed his normal triathlete preparation routine like energy food and drinks to bring etc.

It was still dark when we arrived at the Grandstand Luneta Park. Marathoners, triathletes, Sunday joggers and runners and wanabees were in their Red Adidas shirts preparing, stretching, and loitering around the parking area of the Grandstand.

It was Dennis’ first time to join a Marathon and he is a bit excited and a bit nervous since it’s a 21 km run - he might not finish..ha. Only a few joined the 21 km run but a lot joined in the 5 km
Roxas BoulevardRoxas BoulevardRoxas Boulevard

Road to winning the Marathon
and 10 km run. We saw him set off along with his triathlon friends and wished him well.

He targeted to finish in 3 hours. So the allies had to think of something to do while waiting for 3 hours - FOOD TRIP, hang around, watch the aerobic exercises (there were two groups), take photos, just sit and observe the runners. We saw different kinds of runners, serious and funny ones, different styles in running, different gaits and strides. We saw runners with their kids, baby in a pram, and some with their dogs. We got tired after 2 hours and so we ate again but this time we ate the food we brought along.

Dennis and I agreed that he will call me up thru cell phone to inform where he was at. Finally, after 2 hours he called up saying he was still 10 kms away and having cramps on his thigh. He said he walked some of the distance then ran again.

We waited for him at a street corner and waited, and waited, and waited. When at last we saw a familiar figure, we started shouting and cheering for Dennis.

He finished
Manila HotelManila HotelManila Hotel

Manila Hotel, Roxas Boulevard, Manila
after 2 hours and 35 minutes which was well, a fairly good finish. He proved to himself that he can complete a half iron man distance run. However, he said that his lungs can endure the distance but not his thighs. He was thinking then how to strengthen those thighs and legs.

We have been to Luneta several times already so we didn't walk around but we took some pictures of the famous Rizal Monument, Manila Hotel, Roxas Boulevard, and the Memorial Clock.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Memorial ClockMemorial Clock
Memorial Clock

A newer structure at Luneta Park
Ally BeaAlly Bea
Ally Bea

Ety Bea, one of the Allies on a food trip. Eating rice cakes with coconut shreds
Dennis and his crampsDennis and his cramps
Dennis and his cramps

Dennis pointing to his cramps and still smiling
Ally EdaAlly Eda
Ally Eda

Eda, hanging around
Our Taho Man and a BoyOur Taho Man and a Boy
Our Taho Man and a Boy

One of our food trips - eating 'taho' - custardlike white soybean curd with sugar syrup and tapioca


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb