Penetencia


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon » Zambales » Castillejos
April 22nd 2011
Published: April 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tens of thousands of people travel to the town of Castillejos during Holy Week to witness live displays of stages of Christ's journey to the cross. Along with the organized displays by the local Catholic church, men march through the streets beating themselves with whips of sticks. The number of sticks they use designate the number of years they have been participating in the self-mutilation.

About 15 of us from Solid Rock Baptist Church, the church that my dad helped get built, started out from the church and walked to the center of town passing out pamphlets to the onlookers about how Christ's blood was all sufficient. We walked several miles in great heat and all of us got our share of blood splattered on us, but by the end of the day, a thousand people held a pamphlet that explained why nobody need shed a drop of their own blood again for our sins.

We then took trikes (motorcycles with sidecars - the main form of public transportation) to Calvary Mountain to see a crucifixion. The only guy hanging was not actually nailed to the cross, but Ely said that some would, although in opposition to the orders of the local Catholic church desires. The men who practice penetencia walk all the way to the top of Calvary Mountain to complete their ritual.

Unforgettable memories for all of us. My yellow shirt stained with blood is the only souvenir I care about having - a reminder of man's worthless and unnecessary attempts to reconcile ourselves to the God who provided the perfect sacrifice, once and for all.

Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb