Mactan Island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Cebu » Mactan Island
September 18th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lapu-lapu MonumentLapu-lapu MonumentLapu-lapu Monument

Punta Engano, Lapu-lapu City
The last stop of our trip is Mactan Island. On our 3rd day, we checked out at LS 2 pension house and proceeded to Mandaue City to catch a glimpse of the Chapel of the Last Supper. We didn’t had the chance to come near to it because during that time a mass was being held and the location of the Last Supper carvings are inside the church. We just took a picture from afar and then off we went to Lapu-lapu city for our tour at Punta Engano and the Mactan beaches.
We checked-in at Mactan Pension house for P890/night. We just dropped our bags and went to Magellan Marker and Lapu-lapu monument.


A few facts on Mactan Island:
Mactan is an island that lies a few kilometers to the southeast of Cebu Island in the Philippines. The island is part of the Province of Cebu and is divided into Lapu-Lapu City and the municipality of Cordova. The island is connected to Cebu by the two bridges one of which is the (Mactan II Bridge).

Places we visited:

MAGELLAN MARKER - about 20 kms. from Cebu City- Encouraged by the success of Christianizing the people of Cebu, Magellan crossed the channel to Mactan Island in an effort to spread the faith. Before he reached the shores, he was killed by the chieftain of the island, Lapulapu and his men during the battle for supremacy and freedom on April 27, 1521. Efforts to retrieve the body of Magellan were futile inspite of the offer to trade jewelries and spices for the dead body.This marker was erected in 1866 to mark the spot where the great explorer died.

LAPULAPU MONUMENT - Site where the battle between Mactan Island Chieftain Lapulapu and the foreign aggressor Ferdinand Magellan occurred in April 27, 1521. It depicts the hero holding a bolo in one hand and a pestle on the other. Said weapons were believed to have been used during his combat with Magellan. This monument stands as a reminder of Filipino bravery.

SU-TU-KIL RESTAURANT - Sutukil is a portmanteau of the three ways fish are cooked in eateries near the Mactan Shrine: Su is for sugba or grilled, tu is for tula or prepared into a soup and kil is for kilaw or turned into a raw fish salad. Sutukil restaurants let you choose whatever you want cooked from stalls of fresh fish, prawns, crabs, seaweeds, shells, clams and even lobsters. These seafood are as fresh as seafood can be and the crabs and lobsters on display are still alive as you pick which ones you want cooked. Sutukil eateries get their daily supply of fresh seafood from fishers in nearby islets. We ate at Fredz Resto, good food but a bit overpriced for me.

COSTABELLA TROPICAL BEACH HOTEL - a beachfront resort in Cebu situated on the beautiful and historic island of Mactan, Cebu, Philippines. This scenic resort in Cebu, which takes its name from the Spanish for 'beautiful coast,' lives up to its name by offering its guests a scenic coastal view, complete with white sandy beaches and green tropical palms and foliage leading you to an awe-inspiring expanse of Philippine ocean. Cost of day tour is P430/person with free lunch(buffet) and free use of hotel facilities.

CHAPEL OF THE LAST SUPPER - Life-sized “Last Supper”carvings of the Lord Jesus and his 12 apostles called “ Señor de Cena”. This is the only one of its kind in the country. This treasured relic is found in the San Jose Parish Church of Mandaue City that dates back to 1601.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

That's me!That's me!
That's me!

At Fredz Sutukil resto


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb