Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Blogs from Bantayan
Latest Blogs from Bantayan
- February 11th 2013 Bantayan Island
by Words: 247 Photos: 63
- February 9th 2013 Bantayan – Relaxing, looking for the Virgin Island, working on our tans and eating as much adobo and pork as humanly possible...
by Words: 407 Photos: 46
- January 13th 2012 Bantayan, again!
by Words: 56 Photos: 11
- October 27th 2011 Bantayan Island
by Words: 862 Photos: 41
- April 20th 2011 Back to Bantayan
by Words: 162 Photos: 15
- December 23rd 2010 One in a Million..
by Words: 1178 Photos: 24
- February 6th 2010 Bantayan Island
by Words: 103 Photos: 11
- December 9th 2008 Bantayan Island
by Words: 968 Photos: 20
- October 12th 2008 Discovering the Philippines: One island at a time... Bantayan Island
by Words: 1940 Photos: 16
- August 8th 2008 Bantayan otok
by Words: 201 Photos: 0
- June 9th 2008 Davao...Bohol...Dumaguete!
by Words: 443 Photos: 14
- February 23rd 2008 On the beach, 21-23 february, Santa Fe
by Words: 544 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2008 Paradise Found!
by Words: 506 Photos: 5
- June 8th 2007 Off to the Beach
by Words: 137 Photos: 0
- May 2nd 2007 Part III: Bantayan and Cebu City
by Words: 12050 Photos: 0
- March 12th 2007 The return to Bantayan Island
by Words: 482 Photos: 10
- March 12th 2007 The Cave of OGTONG
by Words: 190 Photos: 7
- March 9th 2007 Marlin's Beach Resort 2/24-25/2007
by Words: 233 Photos: 8
- December 28th 1996 Bantayan Island
by Words: 454 Photos: 3