Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Bohol
Blogs from Bohol
Latest Blogs from Bohol
- September 13th 2013 Un sacré coup de bohol !!
by Words: 1486 Photos: 64
- August 3rd 2013 Chocolate Hills+Bee Farm+Tarsier+Loboc River+Baclayon Church
by Words: 257 Photos: 17
- June 19th 2013 Awesome Dives ^_^
by Words: 536 Photos: 17
- June 18th 2013 People + Food + Dive = Great Company
by Words: 511 Photos: 14
- June 17th 2013 For the scenery... We travel...
by Words: 293 Photos: 8
- June 16th 2013 Next two stops!
by Words: 409 Photos: 5
- June 9th 2013 Siquijor --> Bohol
by Words: 433 Photos: 6
- May 9th 2013 Completed my Advanced Open Water Diving today - Bohol Philippines
by Words: 137 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2013 Touch and go
by Words: 1295 Photos: 31
- April 12th 2013 Into the Interior
by Words: 822 Photos: 12
- April 8th 2013 Mystical Anda
by Words: 1136 Photos: 18
- February 7th 2013 A day of Wildlife, Nature and Adrenaline
by Words: 1944 Photos: 53
- December 16th 2012 BOHOL 2012
by Words: 24 Photos: 76
- December 5th 2012 Bohol: Beautifully brillant with a typhoon named Pablo
by Words: 1294 Photos: 44
- November 27th 2012 Finding Nemo and the search for Turtles !!
by Words: 2100 Photos: 28
- November 12th 2012 Bohol and Northern Luzon - World's smallest monkey, largest captive snake and 1400+ chocolate mountains !!
by Words: 2108 Photos: 44
- August 21st 2012 ENCHANTING BOHOL
by Words: 1821 Photos: 1
- August 5th 2012 Bohol Island and the Chocolate Hills
by Words: 3803 Photos: 33
- May 26th 2012 THE ISLAND OF BOHOL
by Words: 554 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2012 Von Palawan in die Visayas
by Words: 4051 Photos: 29