The Bataan Death March


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Bataan
June 10th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

John Thomas Lynch, my grandfather, has been an enigma to me all my life, not only because he is the man I was named for yet never had the opportunity to meet, but because no one besides my Uncle Kevin ever had a conversation with him about his war experiences.

It’s hard to write this particular blog without going into too much history about the U.S. military campaign in the Philippines, mainly involving their strategic withdrawal from Manila to the Bataan peninsula and the island of Corregidor and subsequent surrender of all U.S. & Filipino forces in the Philipines to the Imperial Army of Japan, but I’ll attempt to make it brief. I’ve heard the stories since I was a small boy about my grandfather’s role in WWII and despite all the papers and essays I’ve written about these family tales, it took a visit to these pacific islands to make me realize just how much I DID NOT KNOW.

I won’t bother to confuse you by first telling you the stories I thought were true only to realize they’ve been misconstrued by time and my own glorification but the fact is that I almost got into a fight
John Thomas Lynch Sr.John Thomas Lynch Sr.John Thomas Lynch Sr.

As a Japaneese Prisoner of War
with the tour guide defying his timetables and facts with my own knowledge of the events as they have been passed through my family. While on Corregidor I had to call my father to find out the truth about JTL’s involvement in the fighting and subsequent Death March and even he had to resort to a newspaper article found in a collection of papers I put together in the 8th grade to resolve the discrepancies in information.

Army psychiatrists informed my grandmother, Nana, that she was under no circumstances to bring up the time my grandfather spend in the war or as a Japanese Prison of War for fear that he might fall into some psychotic deterioration and stop functioning in the real world. Taking the Army’s word as gospel, she forbid anyone in the family to speak of WWII let alone JTL’s involvement which is why today there is a large gap between what happened historically and what we know of what happened to JTL. Sadly enough my Nana underestimated the strength of JTL’s emotions and mental strength, for years later when he found a book owned by my uncle Kevin describing the Death March and other Pacific campaigns, he candidly answered any and all questions Kevin had including the main question, “Why have you never talked about this before?” JTL’s answer…”No one ever asked me, I thought no one was interested!”

The truth of the matter is that JTL was in an Army Intelligence Division despite receiving no formal education after high school. He was a Philadelphia orphan who found a home in the army and as a young man was deployed to the Philippines where he found a paradise unknown to him as a young man. After Pearl Harbor, WWII came to the Pacific and his position in the Philippines was considered of greater and greater importance. Without a Naval Fleet to come to the rescue of the forces on the Philippines, they strategically withdrew to the peninsula of Bataan where many soldiers were forced to make their last stand against the Japanese.

The upper heads of the US Army fled even further to the Island of Corregidor, known as The Rock. Lying no more than a 30 minute fishing boat ride from the peninsula, this is where orders were relayed to the fighting men on Bataan and after General MacArthur was ordered to evacuate to Australia, it was only a matter of time before US soldiers were forced to surrender. To this day, this surrender is the worst defeat in United States Military history, including Vietnam. Due to JTL’s position in Army intelligence, he made multiple trips back and forth from the Rock to Bataan where eventually he was taken prisoner.

The evacuation of prisoners from the Bataan peninsula because known as the Bataan death march because the Japanese were in a hurry to take Corregidor which they were supposed to take months ago. (This is where I nearly punched out the tour guide due to his complete lack of respect for the memory of the soldiers that fought in these battles. To him this was a job filled with pointing to statues and guns that haven’t shot for 60 years. To me it was the memory of a man I’ve been searching for most of my life.)

Corregidor eventually but not until a month after Bataan and in order to get the prisoners out of the way and the Japanese Soldiers into better fighting position, the Bataan Death March ensued. This title for the march is more of an historical name, for the soldiers/POWs it was simply known as “the hike”. Without having accurate numbers in front of me at the time of this writing, and the numbers have varied according to whether you are asking Japanese, Filipino or American governments, the Japanese force marched nearly three times as many prisoners as they had expected to surrender. For the Japanese, surrender was a disgrace but I see no disgrace in preserving life despite loss no matter how grand the loss may be.

The Japanese also had no idea how poorly equipped and malnourished the men who had been fighting on Bataan really were. Descriptions have read that it appeared as if skeletons climbed out of the jungle in order to surrender and beg for mercy. The Japanese showed no such mercy whether it be intentionally or not. The soldiers were forced to march, many times without food or water for miles at a time without rest. The Japanese were in such haste to get through to Corregidor that they used whatever means necessary to motivate the prisoners to keep moving. If a soldier fell, they were beaten or executed. If they because sick, they were left behind only to be executed by the next wave of prisoner escorts.

I can describe many more gruesome details of the inhumane way the Japanese soldiers treated the POWs but that’s not the purpose of this blog, but if you want to read more, Ghost Soldiers is one hell of an inspirational story involving the survivors of the Death March which was recently turned into a movie entitled The Great Raid.

Without sounding uninterested in what happened in the overall battle, was my interest in just where my grandfather fought, where he surrendered, when he marched, which POW camps he was placed into, etc…

Apparently he broke his foot during the march and rather than being left for dead because he couldn’t walk right, he was helped along by fellow marchers until he reached his destination. (His foot set at an awkward angle and wasn’t set properly until 4 years later.) I’ve heard variations of this story, which I like more, involving him being bayoneted in both his calves after breaking his foot as insurance by the Japanese that he wouldn’t finish the hike. Fortunately, for me, my father, my uncles and my entire family he not only finished the Bataan Death March, but also survived three and a half years in a Japanese POW camp shoveling coal somewhere in Japan. After liberation from the prisoner of war camp, he spent nearly another year in a Hospital recovering from all the tropical diseases he had contracted during his time of neglect inside the prison walls.

Now I suppose this is the quick and dirty version of why the location of the Bataan Death March and the Philippines was a must see on my world tour. It’s a grizzly tale but its one of the most popular stories in my family, if you don’t count the time my uncle drove the family car through the garage and into the living room….

As I’m sure I’ve told many of my close acquaintances, I do intend to write a book recounting, with all possible accuracy, tale of my grandfather’s exploits during his time in Manila, the War and POW camp. Unfortunately I’ll never get to interview my main subject and as the survivors of WWII begin to leave this earth, I’m afraid the truth is beginning to become something that may never truly be known. Having said all this, I have shown a propensity to embellish the truth anyhow so maybe an avenue for future consideration would be a fictional story based of the knowledge I’ve accumulated regarding my grandfather’s experiences. I did once write a 5 page autobiographical paper of his life that turned out to be 12 pages and my professor’s comments were not that this was a bad paper, I did get an A, but that this wasn’t a paper at all, it was either an outline or the first chapter for a novel. The seed was planted.

All in all, my trip to the Philippines was a little disappointing because there wasn’t much of interest that I wanted to see. Progress has taken the road of the Death March and in its stead is now a national highway. There are KM markers along the way that are pictured and there is a tiny little park marking the origin of the march from the town of Mariveles. Corregidor is a tourist attraction now more than an old army outpost but the Pacific War Memorial is definitely worth the trip across Manila Bay.

I never made it to any of the other islands aside from Luzon due to Monsoon season and the boredom of traveling solo but the Philippines is definitely high on my return list, not only for the scuba diving that I missed, but for a little more informed research and possibly an enlightened conversation with the tour guide that I nearly knocked out…



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Pacific War Memorial on CorregidorPacific War Memorial on Corregidor
Pacific War Memorial on Corregidor

One of Two Memorials Erected by the US to Commemorate the Pacific War...the other is Pearl Harbor


26th June 2006

RESPECT
John I have talked to your father about the paper you wrote on your grandfather and his ordeal. I have also recently seen a special on the Bataan Death March on the history channel. I have nothing but the highest level of RESPECT for your Grandfather and the other soldiers that did not make it back. My Grandfather was not able to enlist because of a heart problem but my wifes Grandfather was able and did. He was one of the first soldiers killed on the beaches of Normandy. He is buried there. We will be taking my in-laws there someday to see his resting place. Take care.
26th June 2006

Thanks
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I didn't really know all too much about the history of the Bataan Death March. However, your pictoral tour of the area (and personal story about your Grandfather) has helped to tell a story that most probably could never imagine. Thanks for sharing that story with us John. I'll look forward to seeing you again soon.
1st July 2006

Unknown history
I, too, am very interested in this part of history as I also had family involved with the Death March but from the Filipino side of it. My great-uncle helped with The Great Raid and helped the US soldiers liberate the POWs at the internet camp in Pangatian, near my father's hometown of Cabanatuan City. I actually went to visit it last week and it is such a simple memorial but it's so beautiful. Maybe because I have my own personal hstory attached to it, that I'm very honored they recognized the American and Filipinos that fought and died together. YOu should check it out and talk to the locals there. The caretaker of the memorial knows his stuff. And my dad confirmed it! I'll definitely be on the lookout for your book on the subject though! =)
18th August 2006

Paradise
Hope you'll find your little paradise in the Philippines on your return, just as your grandfather did when he first set foot on these lovely islands. All the best!
25th October 2006

wow
I was just browsing for the history project of my niece when i stumbled upon yuor blog... im a filipino... you have no idea how truly amazed i was with your passion over the soldiers who died in the war... actually what really made me continue reading was the same feeling we have for our grandfather, you see he was also a POW, and that I was proud of him...
1st December 2006

the good brothers
2 uncles died on my fathers side 2 cousins 1 died and one was liberated on my mothers side the story was for some reason never told, today i search for any info . uncles tommy bueno reyes and james bueno reyes the good bros the 2brothers simon parra and valentine dallago any info will be welcomed,they were from the 200rd company d gallup nmthank you.
18th December 2006

Thanks for your blog.
20th June 2008

thank you
i recently was given a picture of my grandmother's brother, who, i was told, died on "the hike." it was very inspiring to read your blog. thanks.
5th February 2009

Take another trip to Philippines!
I am a retired broadcaster and advertising executive in Manila. After retirement, I decided to return to "whence we came from." Meaning in a small piece of the earth I now call home. The small piece of the earth turned out to be a paradise of treasures - treasures of WWII relics from .45 caliber and Garand bullets, live grenades, insignias of U.S. military officers, camping tent button eyelets, glass bial which used to contain, maybe, Morphine, sound detectors, you name it. I later learned that "my earth" was part of the "secret road" built by the combined forces of US Army and Navyenlisted personnel. I am still keeping all these, with the hope that, someday when the youth camp, I am initiating and trying to develop, all these may be displayed in a small museum here.
17th August 2009

Atrocities
There are a couuple of points I think would be good to elucidate conderning the death march. I am sure you must have been to the Museum at Mount Samat. I was there in July this year 2009. I want too see if there wrere any records of the atrocities that by the Japaneese. I was astounded not to find any such records. I could not find the end of the death march there was no monument that i could see. There was no record that I could see where the infirmed soldiers were loaded onto the train like cattle for the trip to camp McDonald. I don't know where they how many surivied the train ride to the camp. Did Philippinos take any pictures of the dead soldiers. I think that was very strange for me. Thanks for reading my comments.
28th October 2009

Notes from a soldier
Hello, I have just found in some old boxes what is Notes from My grandafther, who was a pow of the Bataan Death march. They are written on japaniese paper, and he was a survivor of this.
14th October 2010

my father john lewis hinkle
my father was a prisoner of war and on the bataan death march he was only 17 years old when captured and he was considered dead by the army when his mother recieved a note from the jap gov. he was a prisoner for 48 months and came home. he was a wonderful father and business and died in 2002 but he never got anything for what he did nor did we i feel like the united states owes us for what my father did he was in the plant working when it was bombed the convention says he wasnt suppose to be used as a war time worker but he was. i have all kind of information on the march and from him i would like someone to contact me thank you judy hinkle mitchell
12th January 2011

I walked 43 km of the death march for my 70th birthday
My name is Art Curry, US Army Infantry veteran 1965-67 Berlin Brigade, RA11447985. The proudest thing I ever did in my life On December 8-11, 2010 I walked 43 Km's of the Bataan Death March. My 70 Birthday was December 9th, the second day I walked, jogged and trotted to my own airborne cadence. I did this to honor the Bataan Death March sufferers. Funny thing is two of the days I marched were my 70th birthday. Because when I marched on Dec 10th in Bataan, my wife told me it was Dec 9th in CA where she was. I started at KM 0 Mirabeles and was disappointed at the lack of a major memorial. The big memorial is on Mt Sarat. I met witnesses to the death march, I was given Japanese and US Army forks and spoon with writing on them to identify them, relics from the battle ground. I met a young Filipino wearing a US Army dog tag around his neck It had the name and serial no on it. Very sad, I tried to buy it, but he was holding out to get money from the family. I told him that was not right. Maybe me wanting it was not right either. Many Bataan residents have thousands of relic. I met a Mrs Bautista. Her house is at KM 13 and overlooks Corregidor. She has four giant coastal artillery shells in her yard. She gave me the knives and forks and a stone she said was from Corregidor and had blood on it. It is red in places. I also met a 94 year old woman witness to the Death march. She said they would sneak in at night to give food and water to the troops, mostly Filipinos come to find out. I met a man whos father jumped into a creek and escaped. Her husband a lt in recon was killed in 1944. Body never found. I also collected a few rocks and dirt on the mountainous part of the march km 2-10 or so. The rest is flat and slightly rolling . I have pictures all along the way, of Mirables memorials, the diffent km milestones and the terrain. I walked in the day and in the dark, with and without a flashlight. You could get in touch with the march outside of the towns especially the first 10 km. After that current life has obliterated any signs or senses. Only the KM posts are a reminder. I have audio tapes of my musings as well as cadence to myself and the shuffling of my feet. Also a little of the current goings on in the towns. Remember I am 70 years old and am in good shape. Never forgot my muscle memory from Infantry 45 years go. Funny. Will anyone read this I don't know, but let it be known a 70 year old ex-infantryman marched 43 km's. I stopped at a point where a 20 year old Filpino lieutenant was excuted for reconnoitering. I "died" there with him. Family circumstances back home prevented me from finishing the march which I really wanted to do. I think after a few more miles north of where I stopped, the setting was going to turn bland and be like an interstate. Anyway I did what I could and didn't quit. Sincrely and truthfully, Art Cury Boston, Ma 1940-65 US Army Ft Gordon, Ft Benning, Andrews Barracks Berlin Brigade 1965-68. I lived in Berlin working for the Army for a year after I got discharged El Paso Tx 1968-88 Auburn Ca 1988-2003 Lummi Island WA 2003-09 Forest Hill and Sacrmento area 2009-11.
5th April 2011

Never Again
Having read this article it brought tears to my eyes, one cannot start to imagine what these brave men went through. I will visit this area when I next return to the Philippines. God bless them all.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb