Background: The separation in 1947 of British India into the Muslim state of Pakistan (with two sections West and East) and largely Hindu India was never satisfactorily resolved, and India and Pakistan have fought two wars - in 1947-48 and 1965 - over the disputed Kashmir territory. A third war between these countries in 1971 - in which India capitalized on Islamabad's marginalization of Bengalis in Pakistani politics - resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. In response to Indian nuclear weapons testing, Pakistan conducted its own tests in 1998. The dispute over the state of Kashmir is ongoing, but recent discussions and confidence-building measures may be a start toward lessened tensions.
Photos from Peshawar
Blogs from Peshawar
Latest Blogs from Peshawar
- August 13th 2008 Subcontinental Drift: Chapter Twenty-four - Peshawar
by Words: 7803 Photos: 13
- November 29th 2006 Giorno 49: Peshawar, meraviglioso arcobaleno di umanita'
by Words: 824 Photos: 14
- November 27th 2006 GIORNO 75: PAKISTANI ADVENTURES
by Words: 3056 Photos: 15
- September 26th 2006 Darkness, brain curries and guns.
by Words: 5077 Photos: 14
- August 29th 2006 Peshawar
by Words: 838 Photos: 10