Nepal - from Darjeeling via Janakpur and onto Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
October 5th 2005
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nepal

Here is a list of our route: Kakharbhitta (Indian Border) Dharan Bazaar 1 night Janakpur 4 nights Katmandu a couple of weeks altogether Jiri to Tengboche and back to Lukla 12 days Trek Around Anna Purna Trekking 17 days Trek Pokhara 2 nights Katmandu to Sunauli and into India

Throwing the Book out the Window


We arrived into Eastern Nepal after visiting India (Darjeeling/Sikkim) for about a month. We arrived into Kakharbhitta and moved onto a small village called Dharan Bazaar. Unfortunately after a weird mishap involving a bumpy road, a back-pack and an open window we found ourselves LP-less for the beginning of our trip. The fear set in straight away. We managed to find somewhere to stay and get on a bus next day for our first destination (Janakpur) in the humid Terai on the Indian border.

Janakpur was a strange place at first. We didn't know where to go. There were very few people speaking English and the town caters mainly to Indian pilgrims visiting the famous Janki Mandir (Sita Temple) and ghats. In the end we really enjoyed the place. It has Nepal's only railway. The people are very friendly. We were even interviewed for Nepali TV while visiting one of Janakpur's many temples as we were there during the festival of Desain. After a few days we headed off to the very different proposition of Kathmandu with it's bakeries, efficient tourist industry and endless options.

Hanging around in Kathmandu was an easy thing to do as it is so relaxed and there are fabulous facilities for the Western traveller. When we were not organising our treks and gear (or eating choccie cake at the numerous German bakeries!) we had a good look around some of the old Imperial cities in the Kathmandu valley. The architecture in 'Durbar Square' - the Royal squares in Kathmandu and Bhaktapur - is fabulous, and yes the pagoda originated in Nepal and the Chinese adopted the style. It is fabulous sitting high up on one of these pagoda-temples and watching the world go by, but of course you have to fend off a few hawkers.

One of the most impressive spots was Pashupatinath where we saw several cremations in progress on the banks of the Bagmati river. Like the burning ghats of Varanassi, it brings you face to face with the reality of life and death.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

KathamanduKathamandu
Kathamandu

Pashupatinath


24th February 2006

lieutenant
Very nice, but I do not see you kids in any of the photos? incidental or some primal fear that the camera's flash will steal your soul? You are in a spiritual mecca afterall.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb