Lumbini - Birthplace of Buddha


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Lumbini
November 1st 2007
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lumbini is the birthplace of Gautama Siddhartha Buddha, the man who gained enlightment under Bodhi tree and became Buddha. Extensive research has proven this to accurate and Maya Devi Temple at Lumbini marks exact spot that Queen Maya Devi of Kapilavastu gave birth to her son and who later became Buddha.

Now only ruined foundations housed in a modern building there is a simple plaque marking the exact spot where the queen stagger to following bathing in the nearby pool.

We only had a short time in Lumbini arriving late in the day after another long bus journey we swapped over once again to local transport this time in the form of rickshaws to travel the short distance from our hotel with it Lotus Flower Pond in the front to the park where the Maya Devi Temple resides.

It was to be a short visit so I hurried to the temple first to see the place that Buddha was born - a must after spending time in Kopan Monastery learning out Buddhism. Now marked by a simple plaque amongst the ruined foundations of the temple, I have to admit to slight disappoint as I expected something more but none the less was pleased that I had made the journey (pilgrimage) and got to this pilgrimage location during my time in Nepal.

Afterwards I walked around the grounds in silent reverance finally settling before the Bodhi tree to make an offering of incense and a silent prayer before going to sit by the queens pool to watch the sunset through the prayer flags hanging from the trees and setting the pool on fire.

Strangely enough though from my whole time in Lumbini the memory I have is the beautiful light dancing off the petals of the purple Lotus blossom outside the front of our hotel. The Lotus blossom is a symbol of Buddha and this living beautiful blossom carried for me stronger sense of Buddha than the plaque that marked the location of his birth 2500 years ago.

Lumbini was sadly my last stop in Nepal as the next day I would cross the border into India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb