Nepali Adventures Begin


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 18th 2014
Published: March 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kuala Lumpur - Kathmandu

Nepal

Day 2 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal

Arriving 2pm at Kathmandu, Tribhuvan International Airport a little worse for wear.

Transport has been arranged to meet at the airport and take to Hotel Happy Home, part of the friendly service offered for free when staying with them (http://www.hotelhappyhomenepal.com/). This will be our home for the next three (3) nights.

Kathmandu is the starting point of our Nepali Adventure. Settling in to our rooms we quickly decide to wonder the near by streets of Thamel, the temperture is slowly dropping from a pleasant 24c to a cool 10c, we are very supprised how clean the streets are and no over crowding of tourists.

While in search of a working ATM which was a little bit of a challenge, (out of order, not accepting foriegn cards, or closed), eventually successful and once again pocket rich, we continue our walkabout checking out whats what!

Now just imagin a scene out of "The Mummy" where the wind intensity increses, you see a slight dust disturbance down the end of the street your heading up, your mildly interested and then, the wind turns very quickly into a full on dust
KathmanduKathmanduKathmandu

Looking down from above
storm, ducking for cover in a small dark alley coughing and splatting waiting for the storm to pass, you and others take refuge in a small cafe restaurant bar.

What do you do next?

Settle in to enjoy a mxture of delicious meals and a glass of beer on the rocks, Nepal has yet to serve a ice cold beer, so the next best thing is to add ice cubes.

The wind has stopped and its time to head back to our accommodation for the night, its getting late and we are looking forward to a hot shower and bed, its been a very long day, but little did we know we had managed to get ourselves lost, we tried the theory to keep turning left, left, left as suggested by 1 of the more experienced travellers in the group. Many hours later still lost, and most of the shops are closed, the streets are in darkness (no street lights and no street signs) our small but trusty tourches guiding our evey step.

Finally we take the hotel business card out and start asking a few locals for directions, also an eventful exercise, eventually much later then planned we arrive back safe and sound.

Looking forward to the next day of adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

ShrineShrine
Shrine

Covered in red paint after Celebrating Holia


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb