Eight Years After - Swayambhunath


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Swayambhunath
April 9th 2013
Published: April 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

swayambhunathswayambhunathswayambhunath

the way up to swayambhunath, beautiful buddhas and mini stupas
The story: It was believe that this hill was a lotus lake created by God. That there was actually a lake surrounded by the hills, bright light shone to the sky and Lord Manjusri at that time saw this light from China flew in to see the great lake. For the pilgrims to come to this holy place easy Lord Manjusri struck the ground with his sword, the water began to seep into the ground, leaving a vast land, now known as Kathmandu.

I asked my Newari friend, "Where do you get your water supply?" They put a pipe into the ground of 200 feet deep with the help of the water pressure pump (if that is the right word).

The Swayambunath Temple was founded by the great grandfather of King Manadeva (464-505CE), King Vsradeva about the beginning of the 5th century CE. This was confirmed found a damaged stone inscription at the site which indicates that King Manadeva ordered work during 640CE.

This Swayambhunath is also known as the Monkey Temple. It comprised of a big Stupa, minarets, mini Stupas, Dharma Wheels, and small Buddhist and Hindu shrines. The dome on the Stupa was re-gilded in 2010 using 20kg of gold. Souvenir shops in all corners; hundreds of monkeys can be seen all over the hill. One could have a wonderful view of the Kathmandu, showing cubicle houses were quite an art to watch with mountains and hills that curtained the valley. Beautiful Buddha statues on the slopes of the hill with a flight of 365 steps to the top, now with entrance fee of RS250 incurred. How I wished Lord Manjusri did not struck the valley, for me it is too tiring to climb all the way up. Humming my way up (What a wonderful world) made a few stops to catch my breath, bypassers pitied me with a smile. I just wondered how these devotees could climb this hill everyday. Were it just me lack of exercise and stamina who panted and complaining as I walked step by step with my aching right knee. I remembered there is another entrance to the top, a much easier one, why did my taxi driver stopped here? I am being tested.


Additional photos below
Photos: 115, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

kathmandu valley
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

the gateway to swayambhunath
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

stone inscriptions
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

granite carvings
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

women in red, festival day
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

365 steps
swayambhunathswayambhunath
swayambhunath

popular beads


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb