Chitwan National Park


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
August 8th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

6th Stop - Chitwan National Park


Rhino'sRhino'sRhino's

Seen in the forest from the back of an Elephant. Not sure if they're real or not, they didn't move much. Everyone seems to have seen the same ones, they may have been planted there.
Got a bus from Pokhora early in the morning and arrived at the park at about midday. Were taken to a different lodge than the one we were told we'd be in, although when we walked past that one it seemed to be mostly rubble. Our lodge was about 15 minutes away from all the main stuff which was a bit of a pain, especially as we were the only ones staying there and it got a bit lonely at meal times. Felt a bit like being at school with set meal times and no choice in what we ate, food was simply brought out to us as we ate. First afternoon we did a walking tour of the local area and saw some traditional villages with their mud and straw huts. Ended the tour in a bar where we met an American journalist, watched the sunset from the bar, but had to hurry back for dinner, 7:30 prompt.

Next day got up early, which seemed to be becoming a common thing, and went on an elephant backed safari through the jungle. Saw some animals, but not as many as we'd hoped for, and not any tigers or leopards. We did see a baby Rhino and its Mother, or Father, and a few monkeys and a deer, but that was all really. After this we went to the river to bathe the elephants which was lots of fun, especially the baby elephant who joined in and charged Rosie, or maybe nudged her. After lunch we went conoeing down the river looking for crocodiles and a bit of birdwatching, again, only saw a few animals, but it was quite nice just drifting down the river. After this we went to the Elephant breeding centre which was actually quite depressing, all of the elephants were chained up and the older babies had their front feet tied together so they couldn't even move around. Made a swift exit from here back to the same bar as yesterday and met up with the Americans again. Decided not to bother going back to our lodge for dinner, mainly because it would take ages, but also because they didn't serve beer there. We were chatting away and one beer turned into many beers and soon we moved onto Raksi (supposedly local wine, but closer to vodka than wine really), also met some people from Durham uni, but they didn't seem to like us much as they claimed they were going to bed but really just moved further along. As it got very dark Neil decided to move seats but ended up half way down a cliff and almost in the river with the crocodiles. Thankfully he landed fine and just lost a shoe. Our lodge owner and worker met us at the bar after we hadn't turned up for the cultural show we were supposed to be seeing. They didn't seem too bothered and were soon drinking away with us and by the time we left we were all pleasantly merry. As it was a long way back, they informed us that they had brought 2 bikes with them that we could use to get home. So, with Neil pedalling and Rosie clinging on at the back, holding the torch, we set off. We had a few mishaps along the way, and spent most of the journey veering wildly into the gutter, and at one point we lost the chain and had to make swift repairs. We made it back safely in the end, although probably much later than if we had actually walked.

Felt
After washingAfter washingAfter washing

The baby elephant charged at Rosie whilst she was trying to wash it.
a bit delicate in the morning as we got up early for our bus ride back to India. Our plans of going to Darjeeling had been thwarted by the whole east side of Nepal being closed, so we're now sat in a strange border town in India waiting for the soonest chance we can get to leave.

Next stop Calcutta

more soon

Neil and Rosie

xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



13th August 2007

Motionless rhino
Did the rhino move at all? It must be related to the lion we saw at Newquay zoo. He/it didn't move very much either. Did Neil find his shoe? It is unfortunate that you can't go to Darjeeling but things do look pretty bad over there from the news we have seen. Hope the trip to Calcutta was interesting.
14th August 2007

RE: motionless Rhino
It did move a little bit, but we still think it may have been tethered somewhere close by, or possibly sedated. I did get my shoe back with some difficulty as it was pitch black and the shoe was about 6 feet further down than I was.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb