Thorung La pass and the end of our trek


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Circuit
May 29th 2013
Published: May 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The last part of our trek was generally pretty awesome. We spent a couple of rest days in Manang at about 3,500m from there it was 3 days up and over the Thorung La pass at 5,400m or just short of 18,000 feet. The scenery was stunning, environment steadily got drier the further we went, near the top was effectively a rocky desert but with glaciers all around. It was pretty Baltic at nights, getting down to around zero, but the sun was very strong during the day. I got sunburnt through the top of my hair/head, and no, I'm not going bald there!!!



We expected to feel pretty awful with altitude but remarkably it wasn't too bad, think we were well acclimatised with 9 nights over 3,500m by the time we went over the top. Also, diamox (some altitude drug) must have helped too we think. Some photos are in the last update, we reached the summit of the pass around 08.30 after leaving about 04.30 in the morning. Incredible feeling being at the top with huge mountains all around. As we walked up we could watch the sun rise on to the Annapurna mountains, very special.



From the pass it was 1800m downhill to the finish in Muktinath, definite leg smasher on that journey. Was good banter down there with lots of different Trekkers who we'd met on the way, enjoying a few celebratory beers and their first meat in a few weeks! ( Yak sizzler fajitas....yum! ) Even better than that was the first proper shower in several weeks, which was brilliant. However, even that pailed into insignificance when compared to the first sit down toilet in weeks, which was a near religious experience!!!



After a day's jeep journey (just about as uncomfortable as the last time! Kirstin spent 3 hours getting cuddled by a Nepali dude, followed by another 3 hours sitting on my knee to avoid getting cuddled by a Belgian dude! Four Nepalis can fit in the back of a jeep, but 4 'normal-sized' people really struggle.......) we ended up 3000m lower at tatopani village hot springs. The next day we hiked up 1800m in a day through beautiful rhododendron forests to ghorepani, the tropical heat low down meant we both set a new record for sweating!!



There's supposed to be a cracking view of the mountains from there but it was cloudy both days we spent there, you can't have everything I suppose.....



Finally, one big shift downhill to finish our trek in Pokhara, 2000m downhill, including 1000m in an hour down 3,300 stone steps, legs are still feeling it now!



So, our 3 weeks approx of trekking comes to an end, we've loved it. We've walked about 170km in 14 days of actual walking. This has included 9,610m of uphill, over 31,500 ft. We've seen all sorts along the way, many many friendly locals, lots of hippy travels, some oldies, and a good mix of everyone else. Although we've loved it we're also looking forward to a well earned rest. Also, if the scales here are to believed we've lost about 5 kilos each, so some good eating is on the cards!!



Miss you all,

Donald and Kirstin xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb