An Idyllic Day at Lake Khovsgol


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia
June 7th 2006
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At last, we were in Khovsgol Nuur ("Nuur" means lake in Mongolian). No regrets for the whole day on the road yesterday. The scenary is simply breathtaking.

The ger resort we stayed is called Toilogt Resort, sounds like "Toilet" though. *haha* The resort is run by Huvsgol Travel Company with hot showers, good food and good service.

Lake Khovsgol, part of Khovsgol Nuur National Park, is the second largest lake in Mongolia, with an area of 2760 sq km. It is also the deepest lake in central asia, up to 262m deep, containing 2%!o(MISSING)f the world's fresh water. The lake is crystal clear, surrounded by mountains, thick pine and forests. We were told there are bears too.

We had a relaxing day at the resort (while Nyaama and Muno spent the whole time repairing the van 😞.)

In the evening, we went to visit the "Reindeer People" (The Tsaatan) in the mountains. The Tsaatan were originally Tannu Uriankhai or Tuvan, related to the Turkic people of the neighbouring Republic of Tuva. Tuva was part of the Qing Empire but became separated from Mongolia at the beginning of the 20th century as a result of Russian interference. The Reindeer people, as there are called, reared reindeers for a living.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb