Enter The Gobi - Day 7


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Gobi Desert
September 13th 2011
Published: November 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we exited Orkhon National Park and made way to Erdene Zuu Khiid monastery near the town of Kharkhorin. The closer we got to our destination the colder it seemed to get. It began to snow, white patches beginning to colour in the surrounding landscape.

I backed off upon arrival at our nights ger be in so I had first dibs at the best bed in the house the night previously. Jean Luca was getting himself worked up like a big gay baby at the prospect of having a shit bed two nights running so I let him fight it out with the Canadians whilst I perched on the bed closest to the door and the terribly horrible cruel and ailing wind. The ger wasn't the best, it had no cosy inner carpeted walls, just trellis with the wooden slats exposed, this makes for prime spider territory. Found two on my bed just moments after sitting down. Not a good start.

After everyone had settled in we wrapped up and went to see Erdene Zuu Khiid monastery. The monastery dating back to 1586 founded by Altai Khaan. At some point along the line it was smashed up by the Manchurians and then later again by some of Stalins yobo's during the communistic peak.

The monastery had elements of both Tibetan and Mongolian architecture. I was by no means blown away but then I'm not really much of a temple kind of guy. And after seeing the Angkor Wat its going to take something very spectacular for me to be swept off my feet.

We went in to Kharkhorin afterwards to do some groceries, the mall was essentially a collection of Cosco style cargo freighter crates stuffed with stock with a sales assistant pitched outside each vessel. Clothes, meat, veg, toys, a bar operating out of one, a restaurant another, even some pool tables. I grabbed a few beers (of course) and we headed back to our ger.

Everyone wrapped up and in bed early tonight to escape the cold. Jean Luca again smelling like he had shit himself. Good times.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



23rd November 2011

DAY7...LUUXXURY
Exotic temples...shopping from shipping crates...bar down one end...sleeping in a well-ventilated ger...sounds as if you are experiencing...can I call it Luuxxury..!?

Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb