malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Malaysia
After a very long (indirect!) route to Malaysia we made it to Kuala Lumpur. We decided to visit the two main attractions which were the KL tower and the Petronas towers...Kates' fear of heights came into play again when she had to be pulled out of the escalator at the top of the tower, and almost fainted with all the staff around her...needless to say she swiftly went back down! The Petronas towers were also high so it didn't help when the staff made fun of kate and jumped up and down on the bridge which linked the two towers!!! Later that evening, we fast discovered the cheapest food is not always the best idea...no more needs to be said about that!
After KL we needed a beach!!! We ended up going to Pangkor Lout island off the west coast......it was beautiful. Without requesting it we seemed to have a private beach, other than one rather unexpected guest! When swimming Laura suddenly said 'Kate a monkey is stealing your pillow'.....bearing in mind we had no idea there were even monkeys around...I thought laura was joking, however next minute I found myself chasing a monkey!!
One afternoon we decided to hire a canoe.I think the owner was very concerned about his canoe, when we end up beaching ourselves and the canoe on a rock out at sea...not quite sure how we managed that!
We were certaintly the minority in Malaysia and everyone seemed very surprised to see us. So much so in the Cameron Highlands we had a tour bus of chinese people waving and taking pictures of us! However it may have also been the fact that we were walking down a dual carriage way - slightly lost...three hours later we arrived home!
Whilst in the highlands we decided to do a tour, not quite anticipating a near death experience. In an overcrowded landrover we off roaded in the rain next to a sheer cliff edge...we have never skidded in a landrover before...!! We were relieved when another landrover came and offered to take some of the group, we volunteered immediately, only to find the back windscreen was smashed by a bamboo shoot a few moments earlier...apparently quite a common problem!
The whole reason of going to the Cameron highlands was for the tea plantation:The best tea we have EVER drunk! With stunning views....we were there quite a while and stocked up our supplys. That evening we headed to a bar thinking this was a travellers' bar only to meet Zual (a crazy 60 year old chinese man) and a drunk Malaysian who kept singing 'tell laura I love her'! To our amazement on telling Zual we were English, he swiflty produced 100 maps and articles, examples being on the statue of Mr Cadbury and the history of the Centigrade.....not quite our planned night!
We tried the local cuisine called a 'steam boat' we weren't quite sure what this entailed. In this, a mountain of uncooked food was produced with a pot of boiling water. We quickly worked out you had to cook the food yourself...lets just say we weren't the best cooks, to the horrified looks of the staff!
Next stop was Penang...not our favourite..our second near death experience came, when we rode in a seat on the front of a man pedelling a bicyle. We screamed when he turned us head on to a lorry!
The following day with our bags on our backs, we went to check out at 10.30. We were suddenly told the only ferry was at 8.00am! oops! So plan B.... search for a beach! We ended up around the pool of a 5 star hotel in which we sneaked in through the side entrance! we were saved twice from being chucked out by two ozzie guys...we need to learn the art of blagging! which they were very good at!
We are currently in Langkawi recovering from what started as a quiet drink and ended in a big night out. Malaysia has surpassed our expectations and we're now looking forward to Thailand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



3rd July 2011

the amount of death related incidents.
SIS! ITS BEEN TWO WEEKS AND YOUVE NEARLY DIED ABOUT 5 TIMES! CUT OUT THE NEAR DEATH PLEASE! x
6th July 2011

This is my new favourite bedtime read!!! Sounds like you're having amazing fun!! Glad you enjoyed the cameron highlands :o) - I know what you mean about the landrovers! xx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb