Kuala Lumpur - in a luxury hotel


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
May 6th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kuala Lumpur - in a luxury hotel



We arrived into KL on Tuesday morning, after a long flight from Cape Town. The flight itself wasn't so bad at all, just the time difference that killed us. Our thought was to get some sleep on the plane, and we'd be fine arriving into KL - but after food, watching Avatar and a series of 'Tetris battles - first to 15 wins' - sleep was all but optionless.

So we arrived at 6am - dead tired but lucky enough to be booked into a 5 star hotel in the centre of the city. After trying to force away the sleep deprivation by wondering around, it all kicked in and we fell asleep on our king size bed under the cool breeze and soothing hum of the airconditioning! 6 hours later we were ready for action - at 6pm! We headed to the 'local spot' and ended up in a 5 story shopping centre, all with it's own hawker centre food court on the basement level. We had found a similar thing in Singapore a few years back - hint: a shopping centre in KL will always have a cheap hawker centre style food court on its basement level. DOn't be fooled by the expensive stuff on it's Level 2 food court!!!!
For less than 5quid we ate a noddle dish consisting of soup, noodles and meat - and some drinks. Non-alcoholic drinks, might i add as this city is unbelievably expensive in terms of alcohol. Usually the old trick of heading to the local supermarket and buying from there does the job, but we found a local supermarket, and the 3pounds for a CAN of beer was just too much to bare...an inforced detox was beginning.

We slept late the next day and walked into Bukit Bintang and looked around there, a few shops - had a Boost Jucie for lunch (our luxury hotel also came with an incredible buffet breakfast) and generally just mossied on around in the 36c heat. The airconditioned shopping centres were a nice relief! Our roof top pool was where we spent the remainder of the afternoon, and headed back to our favourite eating joint for dinner.

We had good intensions of taking the bus out to Batu Caves on our third day, but after breakfast we quickly made our way to the Petronas Towers to get our free ticket for the Sky Bridge. The line starts at 8.30am and tickets get snapped up quick (we missed out the day before). We waited in line at 9.30am for about 30 minutes, before securing our tickets for the 5.45pm session. The rest of the day we enjoyed the park outside our hotel, where Shaun got insanly yelled and whistled at by the scary 'pool' guard lady, for dipping his toes into the 3cm deep pool. It seems as though not only are adults not allowed into the tempting waters, but also that he was wearing thongs, strictly forbidden in this part of the park!!! She was not happy at all, and in true Shaun style, he tried to make amense by waving to her and apologising, but she was not having any of it - the blow from her whistle kept coming from 50m across the pool before we finally had to 'run' away from her!

This afternoon we headed to check out China Town, Shaun's favourite part of every city (not!). His lack of love for Chinese food makes trips to China town a little painful, as this also envokes his sense of smell! Anyway we'd heard there was lots of cheap knock offs etc down there and worth a look. It was also a stones throw away from Central Market, which was another market style shopping complex. We checked it out, Shaun brought a pair of thongs (which after one hour were giving him blisters - no Havies after all!) and we had some lunch. On the way out we noticed a sign for CUTE FISH FEET (or something similar). Anyway, we checked it out and turns out you can pay MYR5 (about 1pound) to dip your feet into the fish tank full of little (and some not so little) fish for 10 minutes. Apparently they take the dry skill off your feet, all natural pedicure etc etc. So we paid our money and dipped our feet...OMG - what an insane feeling!!!!! Felt like lots and lots and LOTS of little fingers tickeling your feet, and then someone nibbling roughly at the same time. WIERD! I got out after 6 minutes and I was only in the baby fish pool. SHaun went into the 'big fish' pool and lasted the 10 minutes. Admittedly, my feet do now feel strangley smooth and soft, but I wonder if the starve the poor little fishes so that when anything enters the pool - they just attack!!!

Our Sky Bridge experience was at 5.45 so we made our way there. We watched the video, we took the elevator to the 44th story and checked out the view for 10 minutes. It was another view, from another city and we took a few photos. It doesn't fuss me. Shaun loved it!

A quiet night tonight, and tomorrow we head to the Philippines!! WOW, can't wait I can imagine it's going to be quite a shock from this lovely Asia metropolis of KL. It will also be an end to the very short lived 'luxury accommodation'...cheap hostels and lumpy beds for us here on in!!

Loved KL - good for a stop enroute somewhere else.

Wish us luck in Manila, don't know when we'll next have the chance to write, hopefully in a few days. J&S xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



6th May 2010

Hi
Hi Guys, looks like you are having an awesome time. Enjoy and be safe. We love you, mwa
11th May 2010

Keep of of the water
LOL. Shaun, keep out of trouble my boy! Must have been the thongs and not your pretty feet that got "pool" guard lady so mad. Kuala Lumpur looks incredible and it sounds like you are both relaxing in your luxury accommodation. Hopefully by now you are safely in Manilla and we look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb