Happy Christmas from Malaysia!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
December 21st 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur or KL as the locals call it. We just arrived from Singapore where it rained 3 days straight! Yesterday was the most rain in 100 years and they had 35cm of rain in one day!! We had problems getting from Singapore to KL because of flooding and our overnight train took 7hrs to get what would normally take 2hrs and then it stopped because it could go no further because of a landslide ahead! So we were all off loaded onto buses to drive the rest of the way but trying to get onto the buses was crazy because there was no organisation and people were nearly trampling on each other! But in the end we got a bus and reached KL 14hours after leaving Singapore! KL is a nice modern asian city but Singapore was in a different league.

Singapore, the island city, is like a modern high rise American city. Its clean, the public transport is excellent, and like the US it has fast food chains like the ubiquitous McDonalds, KFC and Starbucks on every corner. Its first language is also Englsih which was great because it made getting around very easy. Unlike LA, we felt very safe walking around day and night. Singapore also has made a huge effort for Christmas. Its billed as Christmas in the tropics and the whole city is heavily decorated. They even have a huge christmas nativity village lining their main shopping street. The shopping there is mad too...when we arrived last Saturday we went for a walk and the shops/restaurants etc were all full until 11.30pm and the streets were packed with people. We enjoyed 3 days there altogether but the rain did hamper us in seeing the city. We got drenched many times while there.
We still have no idea where we will celebrate Christmas or new years yet but we are starting to make our plans. We will probably stay somewhere north of here for Christmas and hopefully we will make Thailand for new years!

Anways we wish everyone a happy time over the Christmas period and best wishes for the new year!!!

Lots of love,
Paul and Ulrika

Advertisement



21st December 2006

Happy Christmas to you both and a wonderful New Year!!!!
22nd December 2006

welcome to KL
I just got back from 3 fantastic nites in Langkawi, island off Kedah. Good place to unwind, see, and do. Stayed at Mutiara Burau Bay - a very laid back setting. Go island hopping, walk up to the waterfalls, enjoy horse riding, swim in calm clear water sea and enjoy the shopping. Its a duty free island! Of course there is Penang (developed island), Pulau Redang(good for snorkeling), and many more islands plus the highlands. You may enjoy busier x'mas in Penang or KL ...or a quiet time at the other locations. Merry christmas
25th December 2006

Merry Christmas Paul and Ulrika, and health and happiness for 2007
25th December 2006

Merry Christmas Paul and Ulrika, and health and happiness for 2007!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb