Travelblog Towers


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
December 14th 2011
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The journey to KL from the Cameron Highlands is a fairly straightforward 4-5 hour bus journey, that is unless you dimwittingly ply your youngest child with gallons of strawberry milk before undertaking said journey, only for him to chunder foul smelling sour milk all over you 10 minutes into the journey. The slightly strawberry-ish aroma wasn't even enough to make it bearable. Of course I blame the numerous switchbacks it takes to get out of the Highlands rather than any lack of parenting forethought on our part.

Why they never just build the roads so they go straight down is beyond me, sure it might be a bit hair raising at times, especially if you started to reach the sound barrier and i'm sure the noise from vehicles screaming up in 1st gear would be a little annoying for anyone living nearby but think how much quicker it would be, also it would of meant that I wouldn't of had to sit for several hours smelling like bad cheese with strawberry bits in it. Alternatively if society was fine with adults being naked on public buses it also wouldn't have been a problem, Gabe just got stripped naked and he was fine...

We arrived in KL at Puduraya bus station which was really handy as it was right next to Chinatown where there's a ton of budget options for accommodation. We ended up staying at a place right next to the (in)famous Petaling street market, so close we could pull back the curtains and watch the giant screen if we so pleased. Alternatively we could leave the curtains closed and just listen to what was going on outside, sound insulation of even the minimal kind is clearly a luxury not available at this budget. It WAS pretty cheap at 80RM for a room with two double beds, A/C and ensuite though. If travelling through Asia has taught us anything, it's how to sleep through the ever present road noise, shouty locals and the consistent whine as the crappy A/C lives out its last days. It was pretty grubby to be honest and had definitely seen better days but the owners were incredibly accommodating and friendly, the location was great for where we wanted to be and the old dude who was hanging around kept giving the boys jelly sweets whenever he saw them so they were more than happy to stay there. All I will say, is it was the polar opposite from the Mandarin Oriental, which is where we stayed the very first time we visited the city, memories of which still make us feel all warm inside, and something which probably won't be repeated for a very long time, much to the relief of my wallet...

Having been to the city a few times before we didn't really have a lot planned for our time in KL, we scaled the heights of the city by going up the Menara KL and spent an entire day exploring the bird park which was exceptional and loved by all, not just the boys. Other than that we enjoyed KLCC park using the free pool to cool off, well the boys did, we weren't allowed and had to make do with paddling. We also explored the shopping possibilities in Chinatown and surrounds.

The highlight of our time in KL was meeting up with Ali, the founder and creator of this site, TravelBlog.org. We met up at Bukit Bintang and took a short walk to a restaurant near where he lives to be treated to great food while we chatted. Although I've read his blogs, know his general bio from the site, and know what he looks like from pictures it was great to actually get to meet him in person, talk about his journey with TravelBlog and hear his plans for the future. He's actually a very humble guy, crediting the success of the site to the bloggers that fill its pages, which although clearly true, it's his site and his creation which attracts this talent to want to fill its pages with their material. We also got the opportunity to see his home and glimpse what life as an expat in Malaysia is like which was ace.

The next day we visited the office of TravelBlog, dubbed 'TravelBlog towers', located in an excellent part of the city near KLCC with great views. It was pretty cool to see where all the magic happens, where all our thoughts, experiences, dreams and random musings, along with all the associated photos end up. Actually that's not entirely accurate, it's all stored safely in 'the cloud', that seemingly magical all encompassing entity we hear about all the time, something I won't pretend to understand though, so can't really explain here! It is in this office though where all the code is written, where the decisions are made about how the site should look and function and where all the troubleshooting happens when things inevitably don't work how they should. It's amazing to see what can be achieved with such a small dedicated team and it actually made me proud to be a part of the site (albeit a very small part).

So in KL our short time in Malaysia came to an end. As we took the trip to the airport we contemplated our time in the country and realised we enjoyed it a lot more than we thought we would. It's a nice mix of cultures, easy to travel in and there's plenty to see and enjoy. Of course that's not all we thought about on the journey to the airport as its miles (and miles) from the city and the trip takes for-bloody-ever, giving us plenty of time to get excited about our next destination, Java.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



23rd July 2012

I remember the road from Tanah Rata to Tapah well...
I threw up almost every time I drove up or down the mountain. It was worse riding in a taxi with durian smells. I counted the number of curves, but have since forgotten the number. Living in Tanah Rata was like living on an island as I was psychologocally isolated from the rest of Malaysia; not wanting to take the road ever again! Thanks for the description of your time with Ali. Of course, since then he has moved to the States, so I hope to see him when he comes to Colorado. And thanks for posting the date of your trip rather than when you wrote the blog. It puts things in perspective when one is taking a long trip. Of course, after a trip is long over sometimes it is better to go with themes. So with the map you posted I have a sense of where you are off to next before you returned to the UK where you are now.
24th July 2012

Thanks...
I like to keep everything chronological, and I also have Faye's hand written journal so I can keep track of dates... It's slow going but I'm getting there, only 5 more months to catch up on! :)
24th July 2012

A regal bird
These are probably the best peacock photographs I've ever seen - all of them are stunning!
24th July 2012

Thanks..
I'll have to give some credit to the birds themselves though... Almost everywhere we looked they were putting on a show for us. Maybe it was mating season and they all took a shine to my incredible charm and good looks! :-D
24th July 2012

Bad memories of that road!
We were the only ones not throwing up on that journey when we did it...there was lots of deep breathing and trying to look at the horizon (difficult when the bus was zig zagging so much!) - we felt battered when we arrived in KL. Although if we had drunk gallons on strawberry milk before the trip all bets would have probably been off too ;). As you say isn't it easier to just build the road straight in the first place?! Nice to see a 'new' blog from you, hope you are all well and settled back into life.
24th July 2012

:)
I dread any journey which involves switchbacks now. Funnily enough, even with the lingering odour of kid sick all over me, coupled with the switchbacks I never got sick on that journey. Maybe my brain was giving me a break as I was clearly having a pretty shitty journey as it was. :) Only got 5 more months of blogs to catch up on... It's pretty hard as thankfully/sadly (depending on how you look at it) I managed to find work within a month of returning, coupled with organising the boy's childcare so Faye can start work and organising moving back into our house it's been pretty hectic since our return... Always dreaming though, we have a masterplan that's going to take quite a while to pull off but watch this space!!! ;)
25th July 2012

It was so great to meet you, Faye, Nate and Gabe!
I had a great time meeting you all, showing you the nerve center of travelblog. Sadly you were the last visitors to the now closed TravelBlog towers! All the best from Silicon Valley :)
25th July 2012

:)
"All the best from Silicon Valley" - Must feel good to be able to say this??? :) All the best for the future Guys, I look forward to seeing how your new surroundings inspire both you and the development of the site! :)
25th July 2012
KLCC Park

NEW ANGLE
Not seen this angle for the Petronas Towers before...though I would not expect the usual from you guys...so you had met Ali before TBs 10th B'day on 8 April 2011 when we met you guys...keep safe & well to you all.
25th July 2012
KLCC Park

:)
Hey Dave, Yup we were lucky enough to swing on by just before the office closed. Good times! Hope you're all well down under! :)
26th July 2012

Love the shots of the kids in the water park
My uncle used to have Peacocks on his farm. They are so lovely but a bit mean. Great shots of Petronas.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb