Leaving Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
October 17th 2011
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's not the leaving of Kuala Lumpur that grieves me....



Impressions from today...

Kuala Lumpur is crawling with busy highways with a lack of junctions to a pass onto a perpendicular highway... particularly difficult for pedestrians. Whilst cycling out to KL Sentral, cars passed quite courteously but mopeds follow their own code. Amusingly, car drivers were so intrigued to see us on bicycles they forgot to pull away when the traffic lights changed until hooted from behind!



Our train (from Korea 1994!) was grubby but comfortable and thankfully we got our bikes on. Amusingly there was a flat screen TV showing Northern Lights in silence, no headphone sockets to be found. The outskirts of KL seem to spread for about an hour, then palm plantations covered the land with pockets of old forest. We arrived at a very smart and pretty empty Kampar station at 11.30 in the baking heat. After a dose of suncream we set off looking for a spot of lunch. The town had densely forested steep hills as a backdrop and at last we found everyday people riding bicycles!



We had a tasty lunch of roast chicken, rice and veg with a veg broth and iced tea and realised how we did not yet know a word of Malay as we struggled to order a Coke! Locals were pleased to see us on our bicycles rather than sailing through on tourist coaches. George found a battery for his bike computer so here are our stats so far...



Average Speed 8.8mph

Maximum Speed 16.1mph

Today's Distance Travelled 18miles

Total Distance Travelled 18miles



Our ride took us along a main road, with wooden traditional houses and modern Spanish looking villas. We saw our first Tesco's, giant bamboo and a huge limestone cave. We've also discovered a number of outdoor activity centres with high ropes, paintballing, white water rafting and caving. After a brief downpour we left the main road in search of a 'homestay'. Following a few signs we found a large camp unfortunately other than a couple of groundsmen it was deserted. Our next find at the end of a track was a rafting centre, a local called an English speaking friend to try to help us. the local guided us back on his moped to a village with a 'homestay'. When the owner arrived home he explained that his homestay is normally for groups of students that stay multiple days to expereince the traditional way of living. After a tea, he guided us to a 'chalet', a homestay with with private rooms and air con. He also offered to pick us up a takeaway KFC ( much to Georges delight). It came with mash and gravy! The heavens opened and it rained and rained, and the noisy river and jungle creatures made known their presence, as the lightening flashed around the surrounding hills.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb