A vacation within a Vacation!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
April 10th 2008
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

WOW...

Asia is awesome...and I've only been in Kuala Lampur!! The only reason we flew into KL is because it was the cheapest way to get into Asia. I'm so glad we did. KL is a melting pot of cultures. One minute we would walk past some Muslim women in full coverings...the next we would see a Chinese woman walking around with her stomach showing. Around the next corner would be an Indian shrine with locals praying infront of it. Awesome.

We basically only had one day in the city...and it was plenty. After out 8 1/2 hour flight (which I was not ready for) we had a huge Malaysian meal and wandered around the area where our hotel was. We booked it blind and fortunatly, we got in an awesome area. After dinner, we went to a cafe, smoked some hooka, and had some fresh fruit juice. It started raining and we had to be up early the next morning, so around 10...we called it a night.

The next morning, we got up and went in search of breakfast. Aparently Malaysian people ARN'T morning people. Nothing was open! We found a little stand that was selling some food...we didn't know what it was, but we bought some and ate it. We still don't know what it was...but it was delicious!!! We got picked up at 9am for our Batu Caves tour. The BatU caves are a series of three shrines 15 km north of KL. Our tour also stopped at a Pewter factory, and a Batik factory. KL is built on tin mines and one of their biggest export is pewter. We were totally suprised we stopped at both, but it was cool. We got a full tour of both places! I hate to break it to you Alissa...the Batik in KL is just a little better than what the campers make in Arts 'n Crafts!! We finally got to the Batu Caves around 11am. I didn't know this, but KL is basically a city surronded by Jungle. At 11am, it was 90 degrees +...and probably 90% humididty. We hiked up the 270 steps and walked into an awesome cave with 3 huge buddist shrines. To make the expierence truly different than anything I have ever seen before...there were monkey ALL OVER THE PLACE. Seeing monkeys is one thing...but there is a cardinal rule i refuse to break when traveling abroad. NEVER TOUCH A MONKEY IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. It's kinda like don't walk on the train tracks...you just don't want to do it. Jake and I steered clear, but clearly a lot of the people there had no seen the movie Outbreak. The rest of the day was filled with exploring the city...chinatown and indian-village. We stopped in Merdeka Square (the towns main area where their independence was announced in 1957) to throw a frisbee around. Next thing we knew, the entire National (jr) Rugby team from Bruni was running over to us asking to throw the frisbee around. They may be able to play rugby, but they can't throw a frisbee. We had a good laugh and through their broken english talked a bit. Just as we walked away...we got a classic KL Jungle downpour. No cab would pick us up so we hiked across town in the rain. It was actcually refreshing and fun. People would drive by us slow, wave and say hi as we walked back to our hotel. By the time we got back, the rain had stopped. We got changed, and went out for the night.

Today we flew
GO BLUE!GO BLUE!GO BLUE!

Batu Caves- 270 steps!
into Phuket, in Southern Thailand. After an adventerous mini bus ride, we arrived at our hotel. We have four days ahead of us here! It should be a great weekend...especially if Michigan wins a National Title!!!! Sunday is the Thai New Year...apparently everyone here celebrates it by purchasing water guns and hitting the streats for a good old fashioned GIANT WATER FIGHT! I'll add more pics and stories when I get back to Sydney...I don't have much time now. Infact, I'm late for a massage!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Prayer timePrayer time
Prayer time

Up top the 270 steps in the Batu Caves
Merdeka SquareMerdeka Square
Merdeka Square

After we played Frisbee with the National (jr) Rugby team from Bruni


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb