3 Countries in 3 Days


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
January 3rd 2008
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having flown from Tokyo to Singapore on Monday, Wednesday saw us in Malaysia, and Kuala Lumpur to be precise. You'd normally be hard pushed to get us to leave the sofa on New Year's Day, never mind cross borders, but knowing that there were 4 star hotels in KL for half the price we we were paying for the YMCA in Singapore was enough of an incentive to get us on a bus. It was definitely worth the effort too - our room was huge, English language cable channels meant we were able to watch our first TV since leaving South America really, and room service of gorgeous Malaysian food for dinner was just a couple of quid.

We'd another short stay here - 2 nights with just 1 full day, but we found that was enough for us - KL isn't as pretty as Singapore, with not much in the way of traditional sight-seeing. We'd another fun afternoon browsing the markets and eating in Chinatown, though, after which the heat was really starting to get to us, and so we headed for the air-conditioned comfort of a mall, taking the opportunity to finally see the film Atonement. Sitting in a muslim country where even the most innocuous public displays of affection between a husband and wife are frowned upon, watching the scene where James McAvoy types his letter to Keira Knightley turned out to be a bit of an experience in itself, though, and people were actually screaming!

The mall we'd gone to sits underneath the world's 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings, the Petronas Towers, and while we thought they were fairly unremarkble during the day, it was dark by the time we came out of the cinema, and all I can say is wow. It's hard to imagine something man made being quite so impressive, but they are lit fantastically and really are an incredible sight. So much so that I would go so far as to say that seeing them has been one of the highlights of the trip. Who'd have thought it?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Not the towers!Not the towers!
Not the towers!

The 4th tallest telecommuications building in the world. Or something like that.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb