KL, Kuala Lampur or Kalling for Love


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
January 8th 2013
Published: January 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I appologize for the start of this but I'm feeling a bit philisophical.



What is important to people can define how they live their lives. It is easy to say people value money. From what I have observed, people only value money as a means to an end. Furthermore, those who value money for itself, rarely get any. At home the US Government has, since the beginning, provided its people with an ideal about what is important. A good American seeks the "American Dream," a nice cared for home, no need to want for food and clothes, a good job and a safe place to raise a family. Since the inception of this dream things have shifted to allow for other wants, but the underlying needs have remained. In Malaysia, I have yet to see any dream like this. It could be that people are just too poor, it could be that their resources are too limited, or it could be that the dream of Malaysians is more internally represented. Yet, even as I sit in a modern and clean cut hostel I can see out the window and observe a dirty street and run down houses with tattered windows. What is it that allows people to see this and not change it? Even those who have money seem more willing to splurge on a beautiful new 8 story mall rather than clean up the homes and businesses of those who keep the city running. Even travelers love to promote the problem. Today I overheard two Europeans discussing how they like to stay in less developed countries. For them the walking amongst the people struggling to survive gives them a burst of adrenaline. They feel they have survived hardships as well; then they return home to their comfy expensive lofts. Its disgusting

Now I am no saint! I have something in me, that stops me from giving money directly to poor on the streets. But I feel it. I feel the need, the drive to do something. Still, after further reflection I have to think, "Is it even my place to get involved or criticize."

Today has been a day of strange shifts. I have seen religious extremes and life style extremes. This morning we started out by heading to the Batu Caves. These are caves that are being used as a Hindu Temple. Historically, we learned this use is quite modern. The caves had been known to the indigenous people for many years, but simply as a place to collect bat guano. Then an explorer made them more of a popular place to come and from this interest grew the development of the Temple. However, I feel that this history is missing facts and may be warped. The Temple itself was beautiful but spars as far as depictions of the avatars and Gods are concerned. It two main features however made up for this lack. The first and most noticeable is the giant statue of the God … it is easy to define who he is by his spear. The second feature to the temple that makes it extravagant is the entrance which consists of over 200 steps ascending steeply up the mountain into the caves. At the time we were touring, a Hindu religious holiday was just about to begin and we were able to see many practitioners arriving at the caves dressed in ornate garb and carrying offerings up to the temple. Seeing these people puts into perspective that you are not touring a highly built up tourist destination, you are touring a thriving place of worship. After leaving this area we arrived in a station that was essentially a mall and traveled through the throngs of commerce across a highway to a tourist spot. Here a museum and a bunch of replicas are placed to show travelers the history of life in Malaysia. From this stop I did not learn much from the replicas. However, I was able to observe the set up and colors of a wedding in Malaysia. Accidentally wandering through the wedding I was not able to see who the wedding was for but I could see that it looked very modernized and with the tables and place settings would fit into any image of weddings in the United States. We also learned the importance of architecture. Melissa explained that in WWII the museum had been bombed when it was mistaken for the train station which it resembled. Over all it was an exciting morning.

In the afternoon we went to tour a mall and maybe get some shoping in. Some of us were trying to get outfits for the bar crawl we are doing later tonight. However, the mall we went to was another mall filled with stores that I've only heard of in movies and when talking about what movie stars wear. I was able to buy one thing though. As you can see. I got a new camera!!! yay.

Lots of Love

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb