Wandering around aimlessly


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
February 11th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We hopped on a bus to get to the Petronas Towers because it is the cheapest. The metro also goes there, but the bus is closer to where we are and just have to go to the end of the block across from The Chill Inn. So we asked the driver if it went to Ampang and he said yes, so we hopped on and waited for a few minutes before pulling out. It took ten minutes to get there and cost RM 1 each. This was our first indication that our map was not-so-trusty.

When we arrived at the entrance we saw a sign indicating that the tickets had been sold out for the day but they were selling Package 1 (visit to the skybridge, RM 20 -- it was free but they are renovating so they need to raise money) for tomorrow. We decided to just come back tomorrow so we could buy package 2 for RM 40 because it went to the skybridge and to the observation deck. Apparently they only sell 1,000 tickets every day and usually sell out around 11 am.

KLCC is an enormous shopping center connected to the towers so we explored that for a while before finally tiring of the ever-present glare of fluorescent lights. I'm not the best shopper and the mall was just like some other monstrosity you'd find in the states, so I was ready to leave shortly after arriving.

So we went to the really nice Tourist Information Center that looked light years away on our map but was actually about a three minute walk from the towers. It was air conditioned and had computers with internet that you could use free of charge for 20 minutes, I think. We went to the counter and got some information about what to do around the city and in Melaka.

The rest of the time we pretty much just wandered around and I was actually pleased the few times it started drizzling and raining -- it was a nice hiatus from the heat. We first went to a place nearby that the information lady recommended for a cheap place to eat and it was full of shops selling muslim headcoverings and clothes. There was also a mall next to it so we went in there and checked things out.

At night we walked around Chinatown for a brief moment (our hostel is close by) and bought some bread and cheese to eat for snacks/dinner, bought a bracelet from a nun, and went back so Ronald could work. There are people sleeping on mattresses on the rooftop too, but don't worry, it has a covering to protect from the rain.

Technical Details
-the city buses are equipped with AC
-there are a lot of words that are similar to English and whenever we use an "x" they use a "ks"...they seem to use phonetic spelling more than we do
--poskod
--ekspres
--restoran
--direktori
--zon
--filharmonik


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb