Perhentian Besar 6 days


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu
September 6th 2013
Published: September 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday 6th to Thursday 12th

We successfully escaped KB on the 9 am bus down the coast. The bus stopped and collected and dropped off locals as they wanted. A sort of public private taxi service.

We arrived at Kuala Beset in plenty of time for the speed boat transfer. We have booked 6 nights at the Tuna Bay Island Resort on the island of Perhentian Besar which forms part of the Perhentian Islands about 20 K off the east coast.

We have really blown our daily budget on this one ! still it's not all about slumming it around the world. Any way if it gets too expensive I can always help out with the fishing.

We're staying in a lovely chalet 30 secs. from the beach. After dropping our bags off, it's on with the swimmies and out into the sea. It's crystal clear and as warm as a bath. The tropical fish start swimming around our legs straight away. It's wonderful and we may stop our tour here and now !

Every day in Paradise is much the same. There are more resorts across the island and one morning we decide to trek through the jungle like the Survivors from LOST in search of the "others" but without the complicated plot. It's quite strenuous and after following the main sewage pipe for ages we make it. It's not as nice as where we are and we won't be coming back.

There is a coral reef just off our beach and we've hired snorkel gear. As usual I get the mask that leaks and the snorkel that's too short and lets the waves in.

Christine's use to seeing me snorkel along and then explode out of the water like a Flipper, ripping off my mask and gasping for air. She never gets worried now unless she sees me going down for the third time. Christine's really good at snorkeling and always ask why I have so much trouble and I always tell her---------- faulty equipment of course !

We see large parrot fish, angel fish and some sort of brown fish which always attack me but not Christine. There are hundreds of small fish which swim right up to our faces and peer in through our goggles ! I can't keep Christine out of the water for snorkeling !

One morning we go on a snorkeling trip and see wonderfully large coloured fish and coral, we move around the island and see two adult green backed turtles, they are huge! and also two smaller ones. We are able to swim alongside them as they come up for air.

The next day my left eye's swollen from all the salt water and it's off to the clinic on the next island for treatment. It's a very communal affair as the waiting room and surgery are all one. I sit and have my eye looked at whilst the rest of the patients look on. A sort of joint consultation and diagnosis !

Not everyday in Paradise is wonderful as it rains lightly most mornings and is cloudy.

The evenings are quiet and meals are usually a fish or chicken BBQ.

The Germans aren't here but their globel habits are. Most days the sunbeds have towels on them by 8! We only just manage to get ours as we're late risers.

Well we've had 6 days of rest and to be honest I'm a little bored and restless. Tomorrow we leave the island and start to travel again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th September 2013

First medical emergency!!
Glad your having a great time and note the first medical emergency has occured. Hope your eyes better now. You are obviously not built for snorkelling. Enjoy the rest of your trip some of us just soak up the luxury on a wonderful river cruise on the Rhine. No creepy crawlies and wall to wall cordon bleu food!
12th September 2013

The eyes have it!
hi My eye is starting to get better, thanks but it was a pity as there were some great fish and coral to see. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed you're cruise. Hopefully you'll be able to take another one soon. Keep the messages coming as we love to hear from people. We're off today to places unknown !
11th September 2013

Holiday
Right, NOW you are on my type of holiday! Beach, sun chairs, tropical fish and frozen drinks for lunch. But I will enjoy hearing about your next adventure from the comfort of my kitchen ; )
12th September 2013

On the bench
ok I'll put you at the top of the subs list encase Christine doesn't make Fiji. Keep your cozzie handy !
12th September 2013

Holiday
Good to hear you've had a bit of relaxation. We're sitting in a bar in Peyia enjoying the last few days of relaxing holiday, no car and its wonderful. Seeing wedding planner tomorrow, booked for 17th sept 2014. Will let you know how building work progressing when we go home, I'm sure you're interested. Enjoy your vacation speak soon Ed & Helen
13th September 2013

Building work !
I'm pleased to hear that you've fixed the date. At least you'll get sunshine on the day. You'll have to book our flights for us as we won't be able to whilst moving around------ that's if we're invited ! Have a good last few days.
15th September 2013

Back from luxury hotel
Hi Steve and Chris, None of this jungle lark for us! The nearest we got to palm trees was on the lovely promenade in Split, Croatia. A lovely, sunny week but now home in the UK to perishing cold again! The forecast for 2 days' time is warm again but you don't want to know that! After you mentioned Bill Oddie and Kate Humble we had a week's Bill spotting. It's amazing how many Bill Oddie look-alikes we saw. No Kates though. You could have got the salt-water eye infection in Blackpool and it's much cheaper, especially out of season. We're desperately thinking of where else to go before Christmas but Malaysia isn't on the list, even with the lovely turtles.
16th September 2013

Lookie likie
Hi I'm pleased to hear you had a good week in Split. Are the bullet holes still in some of the buildings? Talking of lookie likies, we saw a chap on the island who was the spitting image of Gary Glitter ! but without the children. I didn't think I should put that in, I didn't want to offend any of his friends ! We're now further down the east coast and leave for Singapore tomorrow by coach. Christmas ? we can offer you a bed in our camper van in Australia !
16th September 2013

Lookie likie
Hi I'm pleased to hear you had a good week in Split. Are the bullet holes still in some of the buildings? Talking of lookie likies, we saw a chap on the island who was the spitting image of Gary Glitter ! but without the children. I didn't think I should put that in, I didn't want to offend any of his friends ! We're now further down the east coast and leave for Singapore tomorrow by coach. Christmas ? we can offer you a bed in our camper van in Australia !

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb