Almost Paradise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Kecil
June 28th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kecil Prehentian IslandsKecil Prehentian IslandsKecil Prehentian Islands

Although the sun didn't shine through the clouds that much, it was hot and NOT humid, and there weren't any shops!!
Hi Everyone, Perhentian Islands,just 2 small islands 1big 1small the big island is only 5miles long and 2 miles wide, fabulous diving, snorkelling in the warm warm sea 29 degrees plus cheap good food and the downside, (has to be one at least!!) the beer was expensive!!! 1pound twenty pence a can but the best "apres diving" bar we have found.
It took 5 hours in a minibus from Cameron highlands to reach Kota Besut, 45 k south of the main town of Kota Bharu. From here its 3/4 hour by fast boat.
We had debated on coming to this side of Malaysia as there's some trouble on the Thai side of the border and we were advised not to cross the border just north of Kota Bharu, However we've spoken to so many other people that have crossed from Thailand to Kota Bharu that we decided to chance it......
The main reason for coming across to this side of Malaysia was the diving, cheap at 60 rm@ dive, (all gear included, thats 10quid) if you 4 or more, we did more!!! The water is very clean and there's usually good visability, however we'd just had a full moon and this
Everfresh ResortEverfresh ResortEverfresh Resort

This was our main eating house on the island, we did vernture further afield, like 500yds further up the beach to a bar/cafe on the beach, beautiful
affected the vis, so it was only about 8/10m. Very pretty diving' lots of good coral and plenty of fish, (don't know for how long though, as we surfaced from one dive and there were 7 other dive boats moored to the site!!!) It was much better than the Barrier Reef, so we made the most of it.
We went to Kecil, the larger of the two Perhentian Islands as Arnie had meet Rickie one of "Rick's Diving" dive masters at our last hostel in the Cameron highlands. Pang, Yvonne,B A and Zero looked after us very well and kept a good supply of Chang beer for the "apres diving", (they also looked after us whilst diving as well!!!) However apart from that there was very little to do, which suited us fine, a little sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling. Our accomodation costs were minimal. 40rm @ night (6 quid) in a ensuite room with a much needed fan.
We were sorry to leave, but we did want to see a little of Thailand before returning to Malaysia and Sabah, so a slow/ fast boat back to Kota Besut and one night in Kota Bharu before crossing the border into Thailand.
Everfresh ResortEverfresh ResortEverfresh Resort

Our own little hut in the jungle just off the beach, which had very very soft white sand
This was much easier than crossing from Singapore to Malaysia, taxi to the border, carry our ruckies over the river and then a trishaw to the train station at Sungai Kolok in Thailand. took us a little time to realise that the guards with guns were because of the troubles, they also looked under the train with a mirror!!! There were armed guards at alll of the stations we passed for the first couple of hours, and then normality returned, just ordinary guards. We are on our way to Surit Thani to cross to Koh Samui, another beach paradise??? We'll see.
Bye for now Arnie & Maggie


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Zero Zero
Zero

Zero, a Thai dive master on the way out to a dive site
DiversDivers
Divers

Jason & Sita, fellow divers. This dive shop had the best atmosphere of any we've been in lately. Possibly because they had the cheapest beer!!
Arnie & Taxi driverArnie & Taxi driver
Arnie & Taxi driver

This guy could speak english well, so he was finding customers for other taxi drivers and look what he found!!!
Kota BharuKota Bharu
Kota Bharu

The view from the roof top terrace of our hostel in Kota Bharu.
TrainTrain
Train

Our first train journey of the trip, we were on it for 11 hours, no buffet car, just venders walking down the train selling everything from cigarettes, beers fruit or even warm rice with curry
Mother & childMother & child
Mother & child

Waiting for the train, this little girl was getting impatient for the train.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb