Selamat Hari Raya Adilfitri


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
November 25th 2006
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hari Raya at Yati'sHari Raya at Yati'sHari Raya at Yati's

The famous Sarawak kek lapis..."I command thee to eat...!"
Living in Sarawak is sometimes like having one vacation after another...that's because it being the largest state in Malaysia, not only are there more ethnic groups here (over 27..i believe)...but the fact that all races and ethnic people look forward to celebrating their own festivals especially when the latter are government-gazetted public holidays as well.
Well, folks..this year,Malaysian Muslims celebrated Hari Raya ( new year ) even earlier.after the sighting of the new moon on 23rd October after a month of fasting. ( Deepavali fell the previous Saturday and Monday was declared extra public holiday ) As usual, there were many ópen-houses' where friends, visitors and strangers were most welcome to drop in for goodwill wishes, greetings and food (!!!).
The first two days passed quietly for me, but on the third day, I visited Hayati ( ex-school mate and buddy ) and her family whom i hadn't seen for ages. Her house is now just across the Pending new bridge and she was most excited to welcome B.Cat and his pet, Edward to her home. Ice and Lik also looked forward to the visit as they have no Malay friends.
Hayati and her family outdid themselves cooking up a storm...every
Yati and familyYati and familyYati and family

Yati and family (her boys are somewhere...)
kind of food associated with Hari Raya was there for everyone to try. She had Sarawak 'laksa', its aromatic gravy stewing hot in a huge stainless steel container, and the accompanying condiments of fresh lime, fried egg, shredded carrot, cucumber, fresh prawns, chicken, sambal belacan, vermicelli / bee hoon .so we helped ourselves...there was nothing else for us to do but eat...another table groaned, heavily laden with assortment of colourful kek lapis, cookies, sweets and jellies..yet another table was nearly hidden as its top was covered with plates of curry beef and chicken, masak hitam, masak merah..glutinous rice cooked in bamboo, satay, etc...
All these while, B.Cat was nowhere to be seen as having shaken paws with the host and hostess, he disappeared into the bushes outside the house and remained there til we were about to leave. If you guys check out the pics attached, do let me know how B.Cat looked with his blue songkok...



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

More food !! More food !!
More food !!

At Colliner's house in Matang, she served one of the best chicken curries...
More food at Colliner'sMore food at Colliner's
More food at Colliner's

Coated chicken wings resting on nest of fried vermicelli / beehoon
Counting calories...Counting calories...
Counting calories...

Hot n spicy peanut gravy to go with satay kebabs and lemang ( sticky rice in bamboo )
Food !!Food !!
Food !!

Beef soup and gravy for mee rebus
Old friends for over 20 yearsOld friends for over 20 years
Old friends for over 20 years

In the garden of Yati..
The sitting roomThe sitting room
The sitting room

Pei Fung reclining on the settee in the sitting room after a full meal...
B.Cat a visitingB.Cat a visiting
B.Cat a visiting

B.Cat a visiting wearing a specially made 'songkok'
Receiving Duit RayaReceiving Duit Raya
Receiving Duit Raya

B.Cat feeling shy to receive his Raya 'money gift/duit raya'...


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb