Mulu National Park - Borneo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Gunung Mulu National Park
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wow, what can I say!!!

I spent a week in Mulu National National Park - in Malaysian Borneo (Sarawak) The lodge in which I had a dorm bed is in the middle of the rainforest and within walking distance of the most amazing cave system!

It all started with a flight from Kota Kinabalu (where I had spent a few days resting up and recovering from a stomach bug) on a small plane to Miri, where we disembarked had the passport stamped and reboarded again immediately, then on to Mulu. The flight was over virgin rainforest which scarily suddenly gave way to burnt ground and miles of palm oil plantation on where had once stood rainforest. It was astounding and very sad to see the immense size of it all!
The plane landed and it was a very short mini bus trip to the park head quarters where I signed in. I was given all the information regarding possible adventures during my stay and spent the remainder of the day eating and planning.

Two of my days involved trips to the main show caves which were totally dazzling in size and magnitude, so very beautiful in very different ways, it's amazing to see the raw power of water and what it is capable of doing, the river still runs through Clearwater Cave.

The rest of my time there involved night walks, a beginners cave expedition, a boat trip, long walks in the rainforest, the bat exodus (millions of them!!), discovering caves by torchlight, the canopy walkway (very high - ooer!) and meeting lots of lovely people who I hope to keep in touch with - hint hint lol

Amazing place and was very sad to leave, would be back in a flash, but so more other amazing places to visit!!

Big Becki sized hug to you all.xxx

😱


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb