Kota Kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
August 11th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

15th day - Kota Kinabalu



After our flight to Kota Kinabalu we immediately headed out of town to get.....yes, you guessed correctly, another night bus! We were out of luck this time however, all night buses were full.
After getting accomodation for a night we headed out for food and beers. Walking around looking for food, it became clear to me that we were in the less developed area of Kota Kinabalu i.e. rats in the stairwell to our motel, dark dingey bars and maybe a few prostitutes (or maybe they just liked to dress provocatively, I don't know). I knew Malaysia was a safe place though, so no worries there.
Following our unlucky bus situation, which gave us less time to do the things we'd planned, the new plan was to skip the orangutan sanctuary and go directly to a small village called Sakau by the Kinabatangan river the next day on the 7th. It's a good thing to go to the orangutan sanctuary and help conservation & rehabilitation by paying entrance fee's etc but I just wanted to do the river trip more. The Kinabatangan river is so full of wildlife but the reason why is pretty unfortunate. Lots of logging either side of the river for palm oil plantations pushes the wildlife closer and closer to the river banks which apparently makes it quite easy to see an array of animals inc elephants, orangutans, proboscis monkeys and more. This is of course what I've read from books and it might turn out to be a fairly dull trip, who knows, but this is probably the best chance of getting my fill of Borneo's wildlife before I go home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb