Borneo- Sepilok and Sandakan


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
December 19th 2011
Published: December 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We reached Sepilok after a 6 hour bus journey from Kota Kinabulu. what awaited us next was something truly out of a movie! we were very lucky to have an English guy with us on the bus from our previous hostel because after realising our phones wouldnt work and we could not contact our jungle hut for our pickup the only way was to walk through the jungle- IN THE DARK...not to mention with our backpacks. so we got our torches out, looked out for signs, listened to some very creepy noises and started walking. we managed 1 and a half km until mel decided we needed a pit stop and flagged a car! it just so happened to be the car from our jungle hut who were on the search to find us!! that experience was something really fun and we will always remember! definetly far less scary than walking the streets of london at night!

we arrived at our hut and realised it was bang in the middle of the jungle! what surrounded our lodge cabins were rainforests and BUGS. arriving at our place we also saw our friend robin from our previous hostel in KK. we spent the night eating, drinking and sharing stories :D at this point we were the only guests so it was place to ourselves!

when we saw our lodge cabin we were excited to see it, especially when we saw our outdoor shower! one side was the jungle! it is definetly an awesome shower!!! we managed to sleep in our mosquito net even after some very creepy bug sounds!

the next morning (and something i had been waiting to do my whole life) we went to Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary and saw the morning feeding. as the orangutans started swinging by and when i saw the mothers with the babies my heart melted! they were the cutest ever!! i could have spent all day watching them! at lunch we went to took a hike to the rainforest discovery centre and went on a trail through the rainforest. we saw the second tallest tree in the world 😊 the day was fantastic and definetly a dream come true for meee!

today- we spent the morning on the very cool hammocks outside our cabins and rode a local bus to sandakan town. it was a great ride with pumping tunes, deifnetly a party bus! we have never been stared at so much before and never knew how much we stood out until then!! tomorrow we head back on the bus to KK for our last two nights in borneo 😞 we hope to trek through the national parks and see the famous mount kinabulu! time here has flown, and we've met great people!



x h

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb