It's fab-ah in Sabah!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
August 21st 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dive Sipadan!  Dive Sipadan!  Dive Sipadan!

One of the many green turtles we got to swim with! Absolutely amazing!
What an amazing place the Malaysian state of Sabah in Borneo is! 2 weeks just wasn't enough to take in the amazing scenery, flora, fauna and marine life.

We started off in the capital of Kota Kinabalu and used it as a base to explore South East Asia's highest mountain (coming in at almost 14000 ft), Mount Kinabalu. Unfortunately we didn't have the right equipment with us to make the ascent to the top, so instead we ventured around the national park at the bottom of the mountain. Martin also put his vertigo to the test again, by doing yet another tree top walk. This time it was just a rickety rope bridge suspended 41m above the ground! We spent one evening cruising down the Klias wetlands in search of the illusive big nosed Proboscis monkeys and we were in luck. We got to see many groups monkeying around!

From Kota Kinabalu we hopped over to the islands of Mabul in the Celebes Sea (20 mins speedboat ride off the east coast) for some SCUBA diving. Mabul was a great island to be based on due to its close proximity to Sipadan, the de riguer for the hardcore scuba
Barracuda Point - SipadanBarracuda Point - SipadanBarracuda Point - Sipadan

Now we know why they call it 'Barracuda Point!'
diving fraternity. The diving was incredible - turtles, sharks, schooling barracuda were just a few things we got to see in abundance!

No trip to borneo would be complete without seeing some Orang utans. So, from Mabul we headed north to the town of Sandakan, the gateway to the famous Sepilok Orang-Utan sanctury. The sanctury is 4500 hectares of rainforest and was established for the rehabilitation of orphaned baby Orang Utans from logging sites and plantations. When we arrived at the sanctuary's feeding station there was one male hanging around waiting for breakfast. Unfortunately he was the only one we got to see, but the macaque monkeys put on a good show!!

We're now back in Singapore for a few days before heading to Perth on Wednesday. As always we'll keep you posted on our Antipodeon leg!






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sepilok Orangutan Sactury, BorneoSepilok Orangutan Sactury, Borneo
Sepilok Orangutan Sactury, Borneo

Alpha male hanging around for brekkie!
Europe v Mabul!Europe v Mabul!
Europe v Mabul!

enjoying a game of footy with the locals


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb