Kota Kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
February 11th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kota Kinabalu (KK) is the capital of Sabah. Only a 45 minute plane journey from Sandakan, so not such an arduous trek this afternoon.

I have only briefly explored KK, but it is a bustling city with many tourists. The waterfront features restaurants and bars along the boardwalk, with a stunning sunset across the water (Tanjung Aru beach).

It won't surprise you all to hear that food was the first stop. With smells of Asia and BBQ, I head for the Filipino market, run mainly by Filipino immigrants. My bespoke food guide, prepared by Becky was an essential guide and I sat down to enjoy honey chicken wings and Ikan Bakar (grilled fish with spicy sauce) as she suggested. Delicious! I must say this food guide has been invaluable and I am so grateful for all her hard work.

As well as the hundreds of food stalls lining this market there was also handicraft, medicines, food and vegetable stalls and makeshift sheds where you will find young coconuts on sale and Filipino tailors stationed with rather old singer sewing machines providing a cheap stitching service should you need it.

Only a few days until my mountain trek
begins. I will try and reserve as much energy as possible until then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lots of chillis hereLots of chillis here
Lots of chillis here

The local sellers just sit and eat these raw chillis
Honey roast chicken wingsHoney roast chicken wings
Honey roast chicken wings

As delicious as anticipated


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb