Penang, Malaysia - an island retreat


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
April 14th 2014
Published: April 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

7th April Penang, Malaysia



Penang is an island state in Malaysia connected to the mainland by the Penang Bridge (the third longest suspension bridge). We berthed in its capital Georgetown for a short visit, arriving at 8.00am with Sailaway at 4.30pm



The place is another UNESCO world heritage site which has managed to retain a considerable amount of natural environment.



Our island tour took us first to a typical Malay village or Kampungs, which are built on stilts for ventilation. They are surrounded by fruit trees & plants in compounds which they sell on roadside stalls.



We stopped on the roadside by clove trees, scents of clove and nutmeg were in the air at local fruit & spice stalls. Another shopping opportunity!!



The next port of call was a Butterfly Farm. Our tour was going clockwise around the island (1 of 4 coaches), the same tour (another 4 coaches) were travelling around the island anti clockwise. Where did they all meet, you guessed it, the Butterfly Farm. Result – chaos, coupled with this, it was a bathroom stop – more chaos.



The Butterfly Farm set in landscaped gardens with waterfalls etc featured over 100 species of live butterflies (I only photographed a few). It also had Water Dragons, carp, snakes & giant scorpions.



Back on the coach to visit a Craft Batik Workshop (with another shopping opportunity). They showed how the intricate and timeless art of printing the cloth with wax & dyes is presented.



Our final stop was guess what a Buddhist temple (if we had gone anticlockwise this would have been our first port of call) Whee!! (I think I’ve been on board too long.



I think this one’s claim to fame was that the temple houses the fourth longest reclining Buddha in the world. Not the prettiest Buddha, nearly 4 tonnes of concrete gaudily painted. To be fair there was a lot of restoration work going on- it could look better when it’s all finished.



Another side to Malaysia, a far cry from the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur although as a resort island it had its own laid back atmosphere.



Next stop Colombo, Sri Lanka


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb