Georgetown heritage


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
November 16th 2012
Published: November 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a 3hr ferry ride from Langkawi i arrived in georgetown. I checked into Ryokan hostel which is great but due to the marathon being held at the old bridge for the last time everywhere is fully booked. So tomorrow morning i leave here and check into Guest inn, muntri street for 1nt (£11) the ONLY place i could get a room for the nt and then i have 2 more nights back at Ryokan.

Georgetown is located on the north-east tip of the island is the capital of Penang & is the oldest town/city in the country.

Since its listing as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007, apparantly the city has experienced a revival, as renewed interests in its historical sites brought heritage conservation, breathing new life into old buildings and the city streets.

The history of penang is closely related to the history of Kedah. It was previously part of the sultanate of kedahuntil it became a British possession in 1786.

Last night I went to the hawker centre for tea. For those that don't know, a hawker centre is like a huge food market with loads of street stalls and tables and chairs.
A bit like the food court at the Trafford centre but street food. I had the famous Penang Laksa, like a broth with steamed boned mackerel for 4ringgitt (80p)

Today I have been to fort Cornwallis. A historical site that captain Francis light landed on in 1786. Most of the fort remains as does the lighthouse and cannons.

The esplanade, A seafront promenade borders an open field by fort cornwallis.

Near there is City hall (large white building) built In 1903 it is the headquarters of the Penang Island municipal council.




Walking back I passed queen Victoria memorial Clock tower. A 60ft clock tower built in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. Each foot representing a year in the queens reign.

St George's church, close to love lane was built in 1817 and is the oldest Anglican church in southeast Asia.

The photograph of the 'roof' is taken from the goddess of mercy temple near little India. The foundations were laid in 1728 by Chinese settlers and it was completed in 1800

Tonight I'm Going back to the hawker centre for tea and tomorrow I plan to take the
bus to the botanical gardens.

I can see myself falling in love with Georgetown.

Love to all. Xxx

Loads more Photos to follow when I get computer access.


Additional photos below
Photos: 145, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb