Background: During the late 18th and 19th centuries, Great Britain established colonies and protectorates in the area of current Malaysia; these were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. In 1948, the British-ruled territories on the Malay Peninsula formed the Federation of Malaya, which became independent in 1957. Malaysia was formed in 1963 when the former British colonies of Singapore and the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak on the northern coast of Borneo joined the Federation. The first several years of the country's history were marred by Indonesian efforts to control Malaysia, Philippine claims to Sabah, and Singapore's secession from the Federation in 1965.
Photos from Butterworth
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Butterworth
Latest Blogs from Butterworth
- August 9th 2011 Malaysia - Day 3: West to East
by Words: 421 Photos: 1
- December 22nd 2010 I Can't Believe Its Not Butterworth
by Words: 1335 Photos: 10
- July 12th 2010 Asia Trip Part 14 The End
by Words: 411 Photos: 3
- July 10th 2010 Asia Trip Part 13
by Words: 955 Photos: 5
- April 29th 2010 48 hours in Malaysia
by Words: 1412 Photos: 23
- December 23rd 2009 Last day in Penang
by Words: 442 Photos: 11
- December 21st 2009 Welcome to Penang
by Words: 516 Photos: 8
- May 21st 2009 Back to Penang
by Words: 518 Photos: 3
- April 20th 2009 Penang, Malaysia
by Words: 931 Photos: 34
- November 6th 2008 Trains, Buses and Boats!!
by Words: 728 Photos: 4
- July 21st 2008 The Malaysian adventure begins!.....
by Words: 372 Photos: 1
- February 8th 2008 Running for the Border!
by Words: 1139 Photos: 3