Day 11 - Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » Batu Ferringhi
April 2nd 2012
Published: April 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our first day on Penang was spent sleeping in till about 10. We spent the day lazing by and in the pool. As you can probably tell by now we haven’t stayed in any hotels on this trip. We planned our trip on staying in apartments – so much easier with the children and a lot more room than the average hotel room. The pool is just awesome here and the girls have been having a blast on the slide....doesn’t take a lot to keep them happy.

The weather here is very balmy. Just the way I like it. A lot more comfortable than Hong Kong as it was their slightly cooler time of the year. Stu will tell you that he preferred the weather in Hong Kong though.

After we got our rental car we took a trip to Tescos to get some snack and supplies – as anyone who has been to Malaysia (or most Asian countries) would know you can’t really drink the water. So we always have to stock up on bottles of drinking water. Our accommodation on Sabah and Penang do have filter taps though so we have been using this water for filling the kettle and brushing teeth and it has been fine – no upset bellies.

After our trip to Tescos we drove down to the Batu Ferringhi markets to park up, find somewhere to eat and look at the markets. As we were driving in I noticed a place that looked rather simple but there were lots of people eating there – both tourists and locals. It is called the Golden River Restaurant and I can tell you the food was awesome. We ordered pork, chicken, prawns and vege dishes as well as rice and they were all delicious dishes.

After dinner we went and had a stroll through the markets. They sell all the usual market items with nothing out of the usual. We found these markets a little more expensive compared to KK and Hong Kong but they are directly aimed at tourists and right on the tourist strip of Batu Ferringhi. The thing that we couldn’t believe about these markets is how far they stretch on for. It seems like forever and on top of that there are little back alleys that lead to beachfront restaurants that are lined with more and more and more markets.

We got back to the apartments at about 9.30 so Stu and the girlies went for a quick swim before closing time of the pool at 10pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb