Lost in the jungle


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
March 28th 2010
Published: March 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We set off on our 5 hour journey to the Cameron Highlands in a mini bus. It looked suprisingly a lot like the Lake District on the way up!
Its much colder in the highlands. Saying that, it was still warm during the day but we did need a jacket on a night!
We arrived at our guesthouse which was another dingy little room, this time with shared bathrooms. There were always HUGE flying bugs in them too. We booked ourselves on a tour of the Highlands and planned to leave the next day.
We got up very early to be picked up in a 4x4 with buffalo horns on the front to be taken on our way. When we got to the Jungle, we realised why they need the offroad cars! It was a steep muddy and wet hill into the jungle....with a HUGE drop off the side! It was a rough ride to the top and we bumped our heads on the roof and came off our seats, literally!
When we got up, we trekked for a bit, found a waterfall and the worlds biggest flower. It was quite a strenuous trek and we were shattered, lagging at the back when we realised we lost the rest of the group! There was us 2 and a guy who didn't speak much English. So we started shouting a whistling to see if anyone could hear us but got no response! We tried one route but no luck, only found another waterfall. We eventually found them after a while but they hadn't even realised we were lost!
We went to visit a traditional Malay tribe called the Orang Asli. We had a go on the blow pipe which they use to hunt. Its much easier than you would think and we both hit the target! They use poison to put on the darts and it can kill a tiger in 10 minutes. We bought a smaller blowpipe to take home, you know incase we need to use it on the neighbours.
After the trauma of getting lost, we went to have indian food for dinner, and then we visited a insect and butterfly farm, tea plantations and factory, and a strawberry farm. I had a cup of tea and a scone in the tea factory, and Craig had 2 cakes...note the picture where he hid his 2nd plate to try and
Shooting the blowpipeShooting the blowpipeShooting the blowpipe

I also must mention that I got closer to the middle of the target than Craig!
cover this up!
It was an action packed day and we were exhausted. We left on a bus the next day for Kuala Lumpur.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb