RAFFLESIA - WORLD'S LARGEST FLOWER


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands » Tanah Rata
February 18th 2014
Published: February 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Rafflesia is the largest flower in the world. It can grow up to one metre in diameter & weigh up to 10 kg in weight! There are several species of Rafflesia and they are only found in a few places in SE Asia. And it is becoming more rare, as the rainforests they best grow in, are being diminished by logging & clearing.





The first Western botanist to discover the Rafflesia was a Frenchman in Java in the late 1700's. But his illustrations & notes were seized by the British & were not rediscovered until 1954. Meanwhile in 1818, a British botanist collected another species in Sumatra and named the flower in honour of the very notable Sir Stamford Raffles, modern founder of Singapore.

Also commonly know as the 'corpse flower' because of its stench of rotting flesh. The foul odour attracts flies which transport pollen from male to female flowers.

The time from bud emergence to flowering is about 6 months. Flowering only lasts about 5 days before it begins to rot & smell of decomposing flesh.





The Rafflesia challenges traditional definitions and some botanists are not in agreement. The Rafflesia does not contain chlorophyll so is incapable of photosynthesis. Some claim that it is a fungi. Some claim that it is a parasitic plant. The Rafflesia has no stem, leaves or roots.

It's probably a bit like our Australian platypus, just doesn't fit into a particular box.

The Rafflesia's rarity is becoming rarer and is now considered endangered. Small pockets in Indonesia, Thailand, Borneo, Malaysia & the Philippines are the only opportunities to see a Rafflesia bloom.

One of the most accessible places is the Cameron Highlands about 4 hrs NE of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. But of course the Rafflesia is not just growing next to the road and a long hike into the jungle is involved.

I went on a full day tour from Tanah Rata. The highlands is not a place you can explore on your own, a guide is needed to cover a variety of areas & directions.

We were in a 4 WD so that cut out hours of trekking. Our guide was a passionate local man who took us to a village of the Orang Asli (original people). The indigenous people of Malaysia have been mostly forced to retreat further inland and still live an animistic life in the jungle. We were shown how to use a blow-dart & it was surprisingly easy even with my cigarette clogged lungs. It travelled a fair distance but my accuracy was not quite up with the Orang Asli. The elder explained to our guide where we should go to see a couple of Rafflesias in bloom. The Orang Asli, I imagine, would be well aware of where there were any buds & blooms, and be pocketing from their knowledge. Good luck to them!





We hiked about an hour in & come across two magnificent blooms. They have 5 petals & are very thick & fleshy. The Rafflesia doesnt really look like a real flower but that is one thing all the botanists agree on, it is the largest flower in the world! We never managed to see, or smell, any rotting flowers and l think l would like to have experienced that!

Apart from trekking & 4WD ing, there is plenty to do & see in the cool of the Cameron Highlands. Strawberries are considered a very exotic fruit in tropical Malaysia & the Highlands is one of the few places that they grow.

There are also several tea plantations and there is nothing more pleasurable than enjoying a cuppa at the plantation from whence it was grown.

The Cameron Highlands are cool respite from the heat & humidity of the Malaysian lowlands. Roses grow there!

And it is well worth the scenic journey there in search of the ever elusive Rafflesia.

Advertisement



12th July 2014

Up to date
I'm now up to date with your travels but want to go further back, to the beginning. This entry is the most I can go back. Can't see any links on the page. Do you know how I can go back to the beginning of your blog? Will also show mum how to log on to this so she can follow you around. Certainly gives you the teavel bug! X

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb