Malaysia- west coast


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
April 25th 2007
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We don't seem to have received your Masters progress report, which was due on 01 April 2007. You can use the link below to download the necessary form that needs to be submitted:

-someone able to do this for me?? Just follow this link: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/acad/documents/forms/masters_progress_report.doc

I'm sure that it's a simple procedure.


Allrighty, Malaysia.

I arrived in Malay the other week (last I think) but I've been all round the show since then and I finally made some friends whom I travelled with for a bit. Escaping the crazy anarchical archipelago of Indonesia was actually a bit of a relief. On the west coast, I checked out Georgetown (Penang), KL and Melaka. Every main city seems to have a Chinatown, a Little India and then a more-or-less Malaysian minority. It's an interesting mix of people and ethnic tensions have certainly eased since the 60s and 70s. The Chinese pretty much dominate the economy while the Malaysians the politics. It seems to work OK but there is a bit of a political crisis at the moment.

My first impressions were clean and tidyness, established road rules and language was less of a problem. Penang was pretty nice and relaxing, it's really the first time that I really got the "I'm on holiday" feeling, as people weren't constantly hassling me for transport or other services etc. I only stayed on night, did a few of the sights before heading down the road to KL.

KL's pretty Westernised. It really just reminded me of any old Western City, with plenty of shopping malls, tall buildings, traffic and general busyness. I didn't do a heck of a lot but I met plenty of people (as it was the first time that I stayed in a backpackers as such) and went up the twin tower things. They were a bit disappointing though. First I was bombarded by petroleum company advertising, which took forever, and then it was a quick zip HALF WAY (or not even) up the towers for a pretty average view for 5 minutes. Obviously I didn't go twice. One encounter in KL was being invited off the street to some Malaysian people's home for lunch. I thought why not, and it all worked out pretty well until, the host (uncle of the people whom invited me), took me upstairs for some gambling lessons- turns out he works for a casino. After about half an hour of 'where's this going' suspicions, he wanted me to meet him in the Casino, where we could become "business partners". Hmmm, not so sure mate. I all sounded fine and well and pretty lucrative, but I wasn't quite so enthused. Trying to get out of the situation proved slightly difficult but I got there as I hurried my way back into the city in one piece. I don't know whether it was a scam, whether the people deliberately brought me round there or not but I certainly wasn't keen to hang around.

Melaka meanwhile was nice and historic but a bit quiet for my liking. But I did run into someone whom I'd met in NZ! It was quite the coincidence and we ended up travelling together for a bit.

So yeah, Malaysia's been pretty good. If someone could sort that Master's carry on that would be great.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MelakaMelaka
Melaka

memorable guiness: some may recognise the guy on the right??


1st May 2007

Well seen as I am the only one left in the NCRE, looks like I will have to sort out your progress report. The things I do for you! You need to email me a paragraph or two, saying what you have done so far, what you are doing now and when you intend on finishing, I can do the rest for you. But sounds like you are having a rad time, ha ha I can just see your face when you realised you had been tricked into the gambling situation. It could have been worse, he could have brought out his daughter, who is 14 and told you that you were to marry her or something!! "She like Westerners', she want to live in America!!"
2nd May 2007

amazing!
Aceh sounds amazing!! I’ve been following your travel missions and reading your stories, which breaks up my day at school where I can escape the mayhem and testosterone to drift off to another world. You not so keen for a partnership in the casino industry???? Doooodgy.... wonder if the proposal is a common occurance…
4th May 2007

The guy with the Guiness
Is it Peter Blake?

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb