Melaka! Last stop but one...


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After Kuala Lumpur we took the train to Melaka, or Tampin actually, about an hours drive from Melaka which doesnt have a train station. We were entertained by our taxi driver who was a bit crazy and had two teeth to his name, but knew lots about Melaka and the area to regail us with on the journey in his 1970s Nissan Saloon. Classy.

Our guest house in Melaka was awesome, a really cute little place right by the river and the centre of town. The tourist areas of Melaka sadly are pants. The few remaing colonial buildings have been surrounded by concrete and tourists and spoilt. Oh and to Charlotte's dismay I insisted we visit the WORST replica ship in history in the mid day sun.

Thankfully, the chinatown area was excellent, full of interesting little shops and the eveining we were there there was a music festival all through this old quarter which was really fun. We even saw an ointment salesman selling little bottles in return for seeing him pierce hard green coconuts with his index finger (yuck), which promtly went red and horrible before of course being healed by his magic ointment. Weird. We had lovely meals and also went to an extremely cool yogurt and milkshake bar which was lovely, and it was pleasantly cheaper than other parts of Malasia.

Next up and getting horribly close to the end was Singapore by Train. Which was painful as you have to get off the train to go through customs which combined with the train being late and slow meant we arrived exhausted and bleary eyed in Singapore at about 1 am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb