Chilling in Melaka


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ok so the bus wasn't too bad and we actually made it up to Melaka in 4 hrs and we did it with the pissin rain style again. First impressions as we drove into Melaka were not good. The outskirts of the city are pretty run down and the taxi guy who dropped us to our hotel had to untie the rope on his boot to open it up. When we arrived downtown to our hotel everything started to pick up. Hotel is much nicer than what we had in Singapore, the only issue is that they are doing it up at the moment so when we got into our room it stinked of paint. The smell was gone after a day so instead of getting high on the fumes we hit the town for a few beers. We have been supping away on the tiger beer the last few nights. A bottle of beer costs about €2.50.
Jane is delighted as the shopping malls keep getting bigger and bigger and the price of things here are really cheap in comparison to Singapore. (Never trust a woman when she advises she will be only 10mins in a shop). Melaka or Malacca is a real upcoming tourist city by the coast line. All it's missing is a beach which they seem to be building at the moment (we think).
Stuck our historian boots on today and went around to most of the sites including A'Famosa - most famous monument in Melaka, the Portuguese built it back in the 1500's, a Dutch graveyard and St. Paul's church. Don't worry I won't bore you with everything we saw. The humidity is killing us today. I swear I have never sweated this much in my life, hoping this will be good preparation for when we get to Oz.
It seems the traffic lights here are just up for decoration or all the drivers on the road are colour blind because when its red it might aswell be green. They also have these weird and wonderful bikes here that have loads of decorations, lights and speakers on the back. The locals call them Trishaw bikes but we like to call them Tuk Tuk bikes. It's funny you can hear these bikes before you see them. I think if I hear that Gangnum style song 1 more time ill crack.
Of course something had to happen before we left Melaka. On the morning of our departure we headed off down to the local shopping mall for a bit of breakie. Just as we were about to leave the shopping mall the place was hit with a heavy storm and when I say heavy imagine someone standing on a ladder pouring a bucket of water over you. We had to get back to our hotel as our bus was at 12:30 (or so we thought at that time). So we made a run for it and ended back at the hotel like 2 drowned rats. Along the way Jane had a shoe malfunction which slowed her progress to the hotel. After changing our clothes we called a cab. The cab driver managed to close the boot on my head when I was putting in the bags, I guess it's karma for me hitting that small Indian guy on the MRT in Singapore. To put the icing on the cake we arrived at the bus station only to find out that the bus departed at 12:00. Like dope's we got the timing wrong and to make matters worse if we had any brains we should have just stayed in the shopping mall and got a later bus as the tickets were only €6.
Watch out Kuala Lumpur here we come!

p.s. it's like mission impossible for a number 2 in the public toilets, men were never designed to squat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



17th November 2012

The pooing issue
Right I am trying to get the image of you and that (what i could only describe as a toilet that have been squashed into the ground by a fat guy) out of my mind. Nasty. You're right you shouldnt have hit that Indian guy in Singapore,, its not doing your international relations any good... Talk soon. Si.
17th November 2012

love it keep em coming xxx
17th November 2012

This is brill Kieran, keep it coming, Sounds great.
19th November 2012

Yer gas!!! Very good blogs.. U seem to b having a good time so far kinda :) tel Jane tks for d bag got it off Aileen yest.. Xx
19th November 2012

Don't worry it's dry heat here! And deci has a pool that I'm sure he is currently getting into tip top shape! Looking forward to seeing ye for Christmas! Make sure ye strap on your drinking boots! safe travels til then xx

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb