Asia's Venice in Asia's Las Vegas!


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Taipa Island
October 5th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

St. Mark's SquareSt. Mark's SquareSt. Mark's Square

Notice the lack of pigeons though! Also, the lack of grandeur that is St. Mark's cathedral - I think they missed a vital part!
This last Sunday I left Hong Kong for the Las Vegas of Asia...Macau. This is a fun, casino/hotel-packed, old Portugese special region where gambling is legal, hence why it is Vegas of the East. This time around, I was heading for the Venetian hotel, and it's so big I spent the whole day there! Having been to the Venetian in Vegas it was interesting to compare! They are both massive!


After a 1 hour ferry and a border crossing, a free bus to the Venetian my friends and I were in a grand lobby, purchasing tickets for the Cirque du Soleil show that evening.


We had a fantastic Asian buffet lunch for $200 (about £12) before wandering around 'Venice' sort of! We crossed bridges over the grand canal, and strolled along to St. Mark's square! All very surreal with a painted sunny sky and gondolas taking people on rides along the canal. Having been lucky enough to have been to the real Venice, it was not a patch on that, but they made a good effort! Thankfully St. Mark's square was pigeon free! I didn't find a realto bridge though!


Once I had spinned a couple of roulette wheels, and lost, we had a drink in a nice bar, and then it was soon time for the performance we were all excited about. Zaia by Cirque Du Soleil is about a girl's mystical journey to foreign planets. The music and artistry were fantastic, as was the skill of the performers - "how do they do that" crossed my mind numerous times! There was a little too much clown action for my liking, but overall it was a great show. Having seen them before, I did not think it was as good as previous performances I've seen but that wouldn't stop me recommending it to first timers. I think they are fab!


After a chill out in an African bar we caught the last ferry back to Hong Kong and got back quite late, straight into bed for work the next day! A good, surreal day out!


Macau seems to have something from all over the world - we were in a Portuguese version of China, that was the Vegas of Asia. We were in the Venetian hotel for an Italian influence, having a buffet from all over asia, and ended the day in an African bar! How confusing!

J x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cirque Du SoleilCirque Du Soleil
Cirque Du Soleil

Zaia was the show I went to see.
Crazy busCrazy bus
Crazy bus

This was a very funky bus from the Venetian back to the port and the lights kept changing! I liked it so it gets a mention hehe!


Tot: 0.449s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 31; qc: 125; dbt: 0.1954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb