The REAL Golden Triangle


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
August 7th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Myanmar (Burma)Myanmar (Burma)Myanmar (Burma)

The Golden Triangel sign at Tachilek, Myanmar (Burma).
The REAL Golden Triangle:
Laos, Myanmar (Burma) & Thailand.

The tri-country border between Laos, Myanmar (Burma) & Thailand forms the legendary Golden Triangle. A mountainous frontier where the Opium poppy was once an easy cash crop for the region’s ethnic minorities. With its history, knowing the drug traffic is still going on, and the Great Mekong river as a natural border between the countries, makes it a really special place to explore.

Entering Laos from China vent without problems, and quite fast comparing to other border crossings on this trip,niiice.
Humping in a quite shitty bus from Mengla,China to Luang Nam Tha,Northern Laos, took us about 5-6 hours..Tired,hungry & superwarm we checked in to the first guesthouse we found, quite nice place actually.

Luang Nam Tha felt like a really great place for relaxing, especially after all the friken noise due to all the people & traffic in China..

It’s a small village set in between mountains & beautiful trekking areas nearby. Love this place!!
Of course with our luck, a never ending heavy rainfall started our first night and kept it going days & nights during our whole stay. So we tried to go to Luang
Laos-ThailandLaos-ThailandLaos-Thailand

Yessss, Border of Thailand..Norway-Thailand overland with no flight so far..
Prabang, but we didn’t even get to the bus station due to flooded roads & landslides..After some thinking we decided to explore the Golden Triangle instead, and then fly(for the first time since Norway) to Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai ,Northern Thailand.

After another night, we took the bus to Huay Xai (bordertown to Thailand), and stayed there a night before we crossed the great Mekong river with a longtail boat to Chiang Khong, Northern tip of Thailand..Very special since the border & pass control was all flooded by the Mekong river going over its normal level.

Took a sawngthaw(taxibus) up to Mae Sai, and on the way we could see houses, roads and fields covered with water from the river,quite a sight!!

Once in Mae Sai, we threw our backpacks in to a hotel and went straight to the Myanmar border! Since all the problems due to the military regime in Burma, the border is often closed, and even when open it’s sometimes dangerous to cross, you never know when the regime decides to make problems..But luckily the border was open that day, so nothing could stop us!! We had to be back in Thailand before
LaosLaosLaos

Rain,rain,rain..,and floads...
the border closed at 5 pm, so that gave us 2 hours in Myanmar (Burma). We spent them well, having a great meal and some Myanamar beer in Tachilek!

Back in Mae Sai we walked the street & marked, bought some small things, had a great footmassage and spent the night with Tigerbeers and Sangsom (thaiwhisky) at the hotel cafe.

Next morning we took the bus to Chiang Mai via Chiang Rai. Tired and hungry, we arrived at last, just before every eating & sleeping place closed. Luckily we manage to get both.

Chiang Mai is really a beautiful city. With its setting high up north, surrounded by mountains and forest, having a cooler temperature, it’s a great place for hiking.
Since Børre has been hiking the mountains here before, we spent our days exploring the city instead. We saw a lot of Buddhist temples, the night marked, good eateries, and had some great massage before heading further on our journey.

Because of some holiday-stuff all the flights to Hanoi via Luang Prabang (Laos) were full, so we decided to fly straight to Hanoi, Northern Vietnam instead.

Our next Travel blog is from the beautiful
Northern ThailandNorthern ThailandNorthern Thailand

Munks walking the streets of Chiang Khong,border city of northern Thailand.
country of Vietnam. And yessss, we are still having a great time!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Northern ThailandNorthern Thailand
Northern Thailand

Crossing the river and border from Mae Sai,Thailand to Tachilek, Burma..
LaosLaos
Laos

Luang Nam Tha
LaosLaos
Laos

Luang Nam Tha
LaosLaos
Laos

Love this sign we saw in Luang Nam Tha.
LaosLaos
Laos

Grasshopper inside our bedroom in Luang Nam Tha,at least 10cm long!!!!
LaosLaos
Laos

Floated roads & landslides made us miss Luang Prabang..
LaosLaos
Laos

Landslides on the way to Huay Xai, bordercity to Thailand.
LaosLaos
Laos

Quite primitive houses in northern Laos.
LaosLaos
Laos

Taxibus from the bus st in Huay Xai.
LaosLaos
Laos

Buddist temple we visited in Huay Xai.
LaosLaos
Laos

The flooded bordercontroll in Huay Xai, Laos..,yes we had to cross the great Mekong river to get to the Thailands border.
Laos-ThailandLaos-Thailand
Laos-Thailand

On our way over the great Mekong river with a Longtailboat to get to the border of Thailand.
Laos-ThailandLaos-Thailand
Laos-Thailand

The border of Thailand in sight
Northern ThailandNorthern Thailand
Northern Thailand

This truck is for you dad, Mariannes father,Lars Gunnar.
Northern ThailandNorthern Thailand
Northern Thailand

Sawngthaw(taxibus) is the main form for transport we used exept for the lokal buses in northern Thailand.
Northern ThailandNorthern Thailand
Northern Thailand

Marianne in her "own world" in a sawngthaw(taxibus).
Northern ThailandNorthern Thailand
Northern Thailand

Flooded roads everywhere because of the freaken rain..


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb