Almost tempted not to write about Loas so that it stays just the way it is!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
April 16th 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Temple roof detailTemple roof detailTemple roof detail

Luang Prabang
Loas has been really relaxing- it's just impossible to become frustrated with the constant delays there, as life around you moves at such a lazy pace.
I did'nt know what to expect from Loas. It turned out to be a breath of fresh air, as the tourism infrastructure there is much less evolved than it's neighbouring Thailand, so things feel more authentic. This doesn't mean that, like in Vietnam, the locals don't know what it is that Western travellers want, just that travel takes longer and a very real feeling of isolation can be found in this gem of a place- this based on just over 2 weeks there( after this short time I feel that Loas joins Mongolia in places I'd most like to revisit from this journey).
We entered after a long day of travel from Pai, Northern Thailand and a stop at the border and started with the two day river journey to Luang Prabang. This was crowded and with basic seating, but with beautiful scenery and the antics of inveterate old drunks as diversions. Luang Prabang, although peaceful, for us was a little dull, with a large market in the centre of town selling knick-knacks
MonksMonksMonks

On the disused airstrip, Vang Vieng- a very hot day!
to tourists and a booming hotel scene. We made a snap decision to head north yo stay in a small Loas village called Moung Neui, which turned out to be just the thing we needed. The place was a village on the Nam river, where the electricity ended at 9.30 or 10 at night. Abosolutely no motorised traffic, except for the odd motor boat on the river. We spent our time eating home cooked Loas food, walking( we went to a nearby village, thorugh rice fields), and swimming in the river.
We then dashed to the party town of Vang Vieng. At first sight the place looked likd the pleasure island from Pinnochio- with blaring music and lit up like a Christmas tree. During the day though, it's a great place for out door activities- we went cycling to a nearby cave and swimming lagoon one day and spent a day kayaking on the river .
The end of our stay in Loas coincided with the Buddhist New Year, a national holiday when the country, like Thailand, erupts into a full scale water fight- we spent three days soaked to the skin, as on every street there were
Mekong SunsetMekong SunsetMekong Sunset

Luang Prabang
water pistol toating locals and foreigners, and in the capitol, Vientienne, the water war fare was also conducted by groups of grinning young people riding in the back of pickup trucks( They even chucked water on each other whilst riding the "freeway").




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

I said in the blog that Luang Prabang was a bit dull, but the scenery was still gorgeous!
Tarzan Tarzan
Tarzan

Kuang Si falls, near Luang Prabang
Taking a cooling dipTaking a cooling dip
Taking a cooling dip

water buffalo, Near Moung Neau
Muong Ngoi sunset (Spelling right thid time)Muong Ngoi sunset (Spelling right thid time)
Muong Ngoi sunset (Spelling right thid time)

The hills are really magical steeply rising and forested- great to look at whilst taking a swim!
CaveCave
Cave

Near Vang Vieng


23rd April 2008

Bet kad atpakal?
kartejo reizi papriecajus par Jums. Bet kad tad, beidzot, uz Dzimteni? Jauku dienu novelot, Lidija
28th April 2008

Catching Up
I just read your last three entries. I've been so busy that I haven't had time to stop and catch up on all your new adventures. Your time in Thailand looked from the pictures and sounded from your narrative just delightful. I was only there once, but I do remember the beaches were beautiful and Bangkok was one huge market. Lelde, I'm so glad you got to see your Mom and she got to share some of your travel experience with you. Well, I'm looking forward to the next installment. Love, Jan BTW Steven, sadly, the US government didn't do any better job taking care of our servicemen that were exposed to the chemicals used in Vietnam. In fact many suffered for decades while the gov't refused to accept any evidence that the health problems they were having had anything to do with the chemicals that were sprayed on them.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb