Cheese & Wine in Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
April 2nd 2011
Published: April 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Being the capital of the sleepy nation of Laos we had pretty high expectations for Vientiane especially after enjoying Luang Prabang so much. After a very easy (compared to Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng) 4 hour bus ride from Vang Vieng we were dumped quite literally at the bus station outside of town, where there are of course, very willing taxi drivers just too happy to rip you off for the short journey of 15 minutes into the centre of town (although they try and convince you its 15KM)

Once into town we had no trouble finding a place to stay that was within our 10 quid budget and included breakfast, there are two or three roads with loads of hotels and guest houses. Vientiane is probably the quietest capital city i have visited, which wasn't a disappointment but it did seem to lack the buzz of other capitals in Asia. Although with its location on the Mekong river with Thailand literally a stones through away and a lot of French colonial influence still visible it does have a certain charm about it. The first place we found ourselves in after checking in was a expat run French bar serving a larger selection of beers than Weatherspoons in a beer festival. Lunch therefore had to be pate on toast, oilves and mini hamburgers.

Loas seems to be getting its influence (and money) from its bigger neighbor China these days judging by the construction thats going on around Vientiane and the communist flags flying from every street corner.

After discovering that we (Emilie) had left her phone with my sim card in Vang Vieng and with no chance of getting it back, we decided to drown our sorrows in a bottle of wine and have a dinner of cheese, salami and olives on the bank of the Mighty Mekong looking across to Thailand on the other side and watching the sun set, this seemed to do the trick quite well and I had to run off for another bottle!

After a couple of days of walking round Vientiane looking at the (few) sights we decided to carry on the theme of celebrating Emilies birthday and blow the budget again on a nice hotel with a pool. The 'Best Western Vientiane' was the kind of place we could only dream of during the previous 5 weeks! Swimming pool (that we had to ourselves all day as the hotel was quiet), huge breakfast included, upgraded to an executive suite for free, free bus to the airport the following day and free internet access (so we could update our blog) As we were surrounded by such luxuries we felt it was only right we had another evening of cheese, wine and salami . . . backpackers, i dont think!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



19th April 2011

CAN I COME to dinner and relax in your pool dreamy lovely missing you wow let me in!!!!
CAN I COME to dinner and relax in your pool dreamy lovely missing you wow let me in!!!! Missing you both but what a fabulous time you are having... just wish i was in your suitcase.. one that didn't get lost that is!! Mmmmmmmmmm x
22nd April 2011

Good evening from London
Beautiful.....just BEAUTIFUL!!! HUGS xx
24th April 2011
Dream...

A very Harrodian Feast!
You can definitely see the French influence in Vietnam by the looks of your food. No more stomach miseries compared with India, then!
24th April 2011
Sunset on the Mekong

This is a gorgeous photo!

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb